Which small class A P-P design to build?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

I'm wondering if I should try out the benefits of class A operation. The thing is, if I decide to keep what I build, it needs to be medium powered and moderately efficient, which implies P-P operation.

One special case is Douglas Self's class G design, of which I have heard that it's possible to run the lower supply voltage in class A.

So basically I have two and a half questions:
1. Are there any nice and small passively cooled class A P-P designs with +/-16 to 25 V power supplies?
2. Has anyone built the Self's class G amplifier, and then run the smaller supply in class A?

Pass A40, my shop winter amp.

Craig

Preferably something less powerful, because I'd use it also during our moderately hot summers and I have no air conditioning. The A40 has +/-32 V rails. Even getting down to +/-25V would be nice.

I've heard that the Self's class G amplifier has the advantage that one can switch easily between A and AB classes for the lower supply.

The A40's peak output is calculated as 25.3 V into 8 Ω, which is 3.16 A (the bias times two), also 80 W (for 100 W dissipation per channel). Now 25 V rails would maybe give 18 V peak output, which is 2.25 A into 8 Ω and therefore 40 W. Requiring a 1.2 A bias, resulting in 60 W dissipation per channel.

With Self's class G amplifier I could use +/-21 V from a +/-15 V transformer and have the other rail for peak needs.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.