Which resistor type for emitter resistor?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Only I was able to find is MILLS

4pund each at HifiCollective :hot:

3.85USD at PartsConnexion

But those are 12watt
If you can do with 5watt its 1.85USD

Often I wonder why the good ol white "cement" has been so "banned"
I have seen some with copper leads, and others not
They are also different in the way the are coupled at the ends
Obviously they are not all alike
Fore speaker work I may use them "stripped"
Maybe even supply them with new soldered copper leads
At one point I thought they sounded much better that way
At the present I dont seem to care so much
The worst I have heard are alu housed...funny to think they were highly regarded audiohile stuff at some time long ago

I believe that very often, much of the expencive audiophile components are just branded "gold" relabelled ordinary industrial items
May very well be they really are accidentally better, and the finder should be rewarded
But mostly prices are really ridicuously :mad:

My present amp uses paralelled SMD, which I really dont like....amp sound very nice though :clown:

If you break open a ceramic resistor, it looks like a coil of resistive wire.

I doubt inductance of his wirewound resistors will be any oscillation issue with that much power at a low impedance, especially since the resistors are getting paralleled in a sense because of the many parallel output devices they are connected to.

Also that's a big amp, to dampen oscillation on a big amp, my experience is to use over the standard of 0.1uf zobel capacitor, especially with amp that drives low impedance loads. The big rectangle capacitors from salvaged computer power supplies, or any mains SMPS HV supply work great. I used 0.22uf/4.7ohm with good results. On this big 2-ohm amp, I'd recommend 0.47uf/0.68uf capacitor with a 2.2ohm zobel resistor.

If you can, get metal-film resistors, but they are expensive, but very nice. However, I wouldn't worry about the ceramic wirewounds being a problem.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of this amplifier!

some years ago, i could not get non-inductive resistors for a new amp design. After trying different approaches, I found that adding a simple disc ceramic cap of about 0.1uF in parallel with a 0.22 ohm wirewound resistor seemed to work well. Has anyone tried this out. I'd like to know if there are different observations to this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.