• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Which rectifier tubes are still manufactured?


2005-08-21 10:46 pm

as I am still planning a tube PS for my amp, I was wondering which rectifier tube could be used.

If one doesn't want to rely on NOS or used tubes, a quick search on the internet showed me the following still-manufactured tubes:

directly heated: 5U4G, 5U4GB, 80

indirectly heated: 5AR4/GZ34

Does anyone know more? Is there any manufacturer that still produces EZ80/81?

Best regards,
Hi Andreas,

why do you want to refine yourself to rectifiers which are currently manufactured? There is an abundance of choices of NOS tubes available for low cost. If you go the TV damper route, you'll get much better performing recifiers at low cost. Many TV dampers are available for $1. You can get a life time supply for the same cost as a newly manufactured 5AR4. Only downside is, you need 2 tubes, but in a DIY project that should not be an issue.

If you insist on a conventional tube rectifier, consider the 5X4. Electrically equivalent to the 5U4 just a different pin out. Available as NOS tube at much lower cost than the 5U4.

Best regards