which modern coaxial offer good sound possibilities?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
freddi said:
got their 15" - a bit rough for me - don't see the 10 in their shop -

What do you mean by rough?

The 15" has some ringing from it's stamped frame. I fixed that by damping the frame with duct sealer. The 10" doesn't suffer from that problem, it has a cast frame.

Other than that, the two drivers sound pretty similar.

(sounds a bit like a 15 guitar speaker)

to be fair, some of subjective part has something to do with 15" coax in general going to relatively high xover- got this cone on 54oz woofer: Beta15cx and its reminescent of Sp15B. my other Eminence coax are C15cx (2-flavor - Sp15A and smooth cone), C12cx, Beta 8-10-12cx

where does SI 10 have the better sound? is its price $150/ea?

The best COAX has got to be Altec Lansing 604 8H II .
This Duplex was totally revamped.
It sounds better than ever. Used in more recrding studios in the 60's and early 70's.

Here is the the new Duplex manufactured by GPA.

http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/downloads/604_8H_II.pdf

A picture of the famous 620 cabinet.

Attachments

• altec 620.jpg
    altec 620.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 650
for use in Karlson or Karlson type - do you think the new one would be as good as rebuilt-vintage?

heres back of my only 604 in a ~1957 K15 Karlson -- worst mistake due to not knowing the driver was not to buy its mate - its also tough for me to image a fullrange playing Gary Karr as well (?)

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/5869/604fitrm9.jpg

I 've 4-c15cx (95oz magnet Eminence cast frame) coax in nice shape - fitted with 806 they should get 'some' of that sound - - maybe more like hybrid of SP15 /806 although fs is pretty high. It was fairly high on this 604

I own the 15" Hawthornes and, while I like them, they aren't perfect vocal reproducers. The upgraded Sterling version promises to be a good bit better - cast frame woofer, and a Radian HF compression driver that should be flatter than the inexpensive Eminence CD in the original SI. The improvements will come at a price, though.

The Sterling SI is still in the testing phase, and the 10" has just been released, so it will be a while before anyone will have long-term opinions of either.

I have the 10" SI and I'm loving them. I did have the 15"s; I'll just say they didn't suit my needs.

I am not using the 10"s as coaxials however. I have them mated with a pair of Heil AMTs crossed at 1k 24db/oct. The Heils hand off to the SI seamlessly.

I did try running them with the stock compression drivers when I first got them, but quickly switched to the Heils. I think even the 10" needs a compression driver that can do at least 1.5k.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

nice tweeter

my limited experice of 10" Eminence (Beta 10cx/B102) had less subjective HF extension than some 15" coax

what do you think Hawthorne did with Eminence to improve on the 10"? which modern in-production compression drivers might be nice on coax to ~1K5? (assume SI 10 has 1001-?)

Ever since working on my Unity project, coaxials have looked better and better to me. Not the "carsound" coaxials, but the ones with the tweeter in the voice coil, like the ones from Seas, and the ones used by Thiel. I believe that TAD also uses coaxes.

One thing I would absolutely love to try is getting the smallest coaxial possible and put it in a waveguide. The problem is that the small ones aren't for sale - you'd have to buy a Thiel to get your hands on one.

Believe it or not, there's a set of IPOD speakers that you use a high excursion coax for their satellites. They're made by Jamo, they're ridiculously expensive (for IPOD speakers), and they sound fabulous. When I saw them on sale, I bought three of them just to get my hands on the driver! Thank God I don't do audio for a living, because I'd never be able to justify spending $1800 on six drivers if I wasn't a software engineer :)

I'm playing with some Beyma 10xc25 coaxials.

About a year ago, I had the chance to listen to some Tannoy V12HP (coaxial) speakers designed for live sound reinforcement. I was impressed by the sound quality, and decided to look for a coaxial driver for home theater applications. Hence I'm trying the Beyma.

Right now, I'm using a Driverack PA to implement the crossover. I do not as yet have a measurement system, but will be getting one soon. Just tuning by ear, I'm getting good results. It seems to have similar quality of "presence" to the Tannoy speaker. That may equate to a midrange emphasis (just looking at published graphs). Transients seem to have a lot of impact. I don't hear any significant problems. Right now, I'm crossing over at 1.5kHz. I have included a 4.5-dB dip around 2.5kHz and a 3-dB dip around 550 Hz to tame the midrange a bit. I have the low-end boosted with a shelving equalizer. The driver is in a 2 cu ft sealed box. I would use it with a sub.

I have not been working on audiophile speakers for some time, and my favorable impressions of the Beyma probably shouldn't be taken as a good recommendation for those seeking truly high-end performance.

I'd be curious about anyone's experiences with Beyma coaxials.

Tom

CONVERGENCE said:
There are quite a few companies that make them. They need high power amps though. You all know the theory about underpowering!

Like this one:

Whenever I've listened to coaxials like that, I hear a lot of HOMs due to the lack of termination for that horn on the tweeter. Putting the tweeter in the neck, and using the woofer cone as a waveguide, improves the sound dramatically.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.