Which is the real TDA 1543 ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am using the IV from rbroer
this is the circuit.
I used bc550 and 560 C grade instead of BC 547, 557 B . .
D1 and D2 do not light up.

Attachments

• tda1543_iv.gif
    tda1543_iv.gif
    8.6 KB · Views: 444
I would like someone to comment on my recent procurements of 4x TDA1543

They appear to be genuine but I would like someone with a bit more experience to come along and contribute what they think.

Test #1
I have examined all four of them underneath a microscope and the plastic glue which mates both the top and bottom parts of the integrated circuit package together is identical to a pair of 100% Genuine 555 timers that I've got as a hand-me-down from the 1970s-1980s which were originally purchased through Farnell. That is a point towards them being genuine.

Test #2
I have seen under the microscope that there is a significant amount of sand and hair surrounding the pins of the new TDA1543 IC's, which the original 555 Timer's also have. Which is another point towards them being genuine. NOT enough to make me suspect that they have been sandblasted, just buildup from being in those plastic ribbon storage containers.

Test #3
However what subtracts a point from them being genuine is that the pins have some signs of scratching on the sides of the pins. NOT heavy scratching that you would find from sandpaper, just stuff that looks like meteorites. There is NO visible signs of solder or tinning aside from the manufacturer's usual tinning. So they are NOT a working pull from a device that was done by the chinese. So its 50/50 wether its genuine or not.

Test #4
There is no signs, as far as I'm aware, of the surface of the chips being sanded back and them being repainted. However the text print ontop makes me nervous. This is a test which I am unsure if it makes them more genuine or fake.

Test #5
The text ontop of each IC is of a different size and consistency to the known-genuines, however it is the same material of the genuine ones and it is not wildly out of spec. It produces the same view that you get from the genuines of looking down from space onto snow covered mountaintops while looking underneath a small pocket microscope. It appears to be applied the same way as the genuines. Which makes identifying these chips as genuine or fake so difficult...

The TDA1543A and the TDA1311A are BOTH 100% Genuine.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    556.9 KB · Views: 414
  • Picture 044s.jpg
    Picture 044s.jpg
    663.8 KB · Views: 396
  • Picture 041s.jpg
    Picture 041s.jpg
    958.9 KB · Views: 372
  • Picture 040s.jpg
    Picture 040s.jpg
    489.5 KB · Views: 366
  • Picture 043s.jpg
    Picture 043s.jpg
    636.8 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Test #6
The text string of the Questionable TDA1543's are closer together than both the TDA1543A and the TDA1311A. 1 more point in the fake category.

Test #7
The white stripes to the left of the Questionable TDA1543's come into contact with the Indent of each IC. This is not the case on the TDA1543A. 1 more point in the fake category.

Test #8
The surface of the chip should look like what is shown in the first attached photo. Under a microscope it looks exactly the same as the genuine TDA1311A and I also see bits of glass embedded into the plastic package. This is 1 point in the genuine category. It is not smooth at all and is a rough surface, this can most easily be seen around the text. Most importantly the surface appears to be pitted randomly and it doesn't contain parallel lines indiciative of sanding.

Attachments

• parts13.jpeg
    parts13.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
These appear to be genuine.

What tipped it for me in favour of being genuine was finding sand and surface corrosion on the four small gaps around the copper leads which come out the very end of both sides of the TDA1543 IC's. That and the lack of evidence of any blacktopping.

The variations which I have seen are as far as I'm concerned within normal manufacturer variations.

The 4x TDA1543's appear to be a match somewhere inbetween the TDA1541A and the TDA1311A appears to be the closest match. Which makes logical sense. The TDA1541A is a much older chip than the TDA1311A.

Considering that these TDA1543's all come from the same source and the same batch, it is logical to assume that they will also all look the same but with some minor variations.

I will now have to wait to do functional testing.

Last edited:
This is the second batch of TDA 1543 purchased from aliexpress.
It is working as expected

Do you notice the white sheen on the entire chip surface? its possible that this was another IC and has been remarked. I don't see much sense in remarking a TDA1543 so its probably something else which is functionally the same as one.

It is something that I am trying to avoid buying.
Also, notice how the TDA1543 string of text begins closer to the left hand side of the Philips logo instead of to the far right of the Philips logo like it does on all of mine except for the TDA1311A. Not all Chinese knockoffs begin like this but a LOT of them do as far as I've seen so far.

Would you please re photograph that in a different light? A warmer light? I would like to see it in a different light so I can compare it to mine.

Thank You.

Last edited:
The chip above sound very nice .
It cost about US 1 per piece with shipping and there is not much money to profit by repainting over another chip.

Thank you for those additional pictures.

I'm sitting here in the living room listening to Jazz Digital radio over my DVB-T box and I'm using one of the "questionable" TDA1543 IC's which I purchased from Greece a few weeks ago. it sounds very very clear and not harsh and no upper frequency distortion to speak of.

http://www.abc.net.au/jazz/
To listen in click here: http://www.abc.net.au/radio/player/beta/#live/jazz

Theres also another station called Double J.

I can't fathom this ever being a fake knockoff from China.

I'm using my Anarchist DAC.

Had a few problems with the routing of I2S lines and a lack of an earth to the chassis but I got that sorted out this afternoon.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.