Which commercial amps still .....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
And Nelson Pass is going to revisit the Aleph circuit soon with a new model for First Watt. He also used Alephs for certain of the drivers in his Rushmore active, multiamped speakers. So I would say that shows that it still has a place in the new millinium:D

What a luxury to be able to compare them with a KSA-50 in your own house!

Borrowed a Nikko. Guy says its not that great but should be better then my Pioneer. First words out of his mouth?

" dude, this amp is really wire sensitive top quality interconnects can really make it shine on the right speaker system."

I fantisized about smacking him but instead i left $50 deposit and walked out.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Madmike2,
What model Nikko is it? Alpha 450's (440's) are bombs. Alpha 220 / 230 can be okay. Adcom would sound better and a Bryston 4B/3B/2B less good than an Adcom. Something like a Marantz 300DC is getting there. Let us know what you think.
I fantasize about slapping people all the time when wire, green leds for CD's, burn in CD's etc ... come up.
-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Madmike2,
Well, there may not be much wrong with the Nikko. Don't forget they were awfully cheap. I think they delivered good value for the money, but they didn't sound great. I have some Alpha 220 and 230's and they sound similar to yours.

Now you have to go into some stores to have a listen. It may take some time for you to figure out. But do take the time.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.