Which caps for crossover - studio monitors?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Chaps,

I am going to build my own studio monitors based on this kit:
WA TL12

However I will be using ATC mid-domes (SM75-150-16) and ScanSpeak Beryllium tweeters (D3004/6640).
Crossovers will be modified for that purpose.

Since I am planning to upgrade the provided crossovers with high grade parts, I am wondering what do you suggest?

Given I will be using those speakers as studio reference monitors I am after a neutral sound.. not a artificially cold and clean but just musically neutral.. if that makes any sense?
I am not after a fat, bloomy hi-fi sound. Just wanna hear the music exactly like its recorded.
There's to much to choose: Mundorf, Jantzen,Solen, Audyn, Vcap..etc.

Whats your suggestion for a detailed, clean, not hyped sound?

thanks

I would recommend that you try the ASC X386 or X387 oil filled polypropylene on your midranges as these are spacious and smooth. These could also be used on your tweeters if the value is large enough. On your tweeters, I would recommend something in the same vein. The Jantzen Z-Silver or Z-Superior are nice, but I think maybe the MultiCap RTX or PPMFX or even Jupiter Wax caps might be more to your liking.

Later,
Wolf

schematics will be very similar to this:

Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 00.46.12.png

the tweeter will be somewhat different tho as I will be using Scan Speak Beryllium D3004/6640

Or get a miniDSP, go active and live happily ever after.

I considered that already but decided against it for several reasons:

- want to avoid extra conversion since this will make my 6k€ Meitner DAC pointless

- digital crossovers have a certain resolution according to its samplerate whereas a well designed passive-XO has an infinite high resolution

- a well designed passive/analog XO with well choosen parts, doesn't have to hide behind all these new DSP solutions

- want to avoid extra conversion since this will make my 6k€ Meitner DAC pointless
Sell it to fund the active conversion and come out with a plus. Moneywise and probably in sound quality as well.

- digital crossovers have a certain resolution according to its samplerate whereas a well designed passive-XO has an infinite high resolution

A passive crossover has no sample rate but each part, and what you are about to build will have lots of parts, introduces certain losses and distortions. It's apples and oranges and going passive doesn't mean all issues are gone.

- a well designed passive/analog XO with well choosen parts, doesn't have to hide behind all these new DSP solutions

Why?

Ok. If it makes you happy. Prepare to get a measuring system and read through the threads about modelling crossovers to get a starting point needed for developing the crossover for your speaker. As it's been said the pictured one won't work with different drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.