Which amplifier "style" would be best for complicated / symphonic music?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
And, for the fanatics, following on from that, why not use the RIAA time constants more creatively? Presumably only the bass section (<500c/s) needs the RIAA bass boost. Why subject the rest of the pre-amps to those frequencies? Use the 500c/s turn over as one 'order' of the low to mid cross over.
Cheers Jonathan

You may be right. I'm not formerly trained (only 2 yrs Mech Eng) so can't comment with any authority. I was just intrigued with remarks by people like Ben Duncan (HFN/RR) some time ago (30yrs?) when he (and others) said that the subjective results of multi-amping exceeded the expected advantages. If so, I've just been pondering what might explain that. I think I recall reading that JLH thought lower IM increased the discernment of individual voices or instruments..........but pls don't quote me on that. I do know he thought regulated supplies in PA's gave tighter bass.

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Its interesting that when Martin Colloms ('High Performance Loudspeakers') considers multi-amping speakers he lists the reduction in IM distortion in the various power amps as the FIRST benefit. .....

This is very significant when amps are driven to CLIPPING, as in PA systems.

Ideally there would be low/band-pass filters between amp and speaker, but even without them the narrower span in each amp (and speaker!) significantly reduces the spread of the hash.

And "ideally" we high-budget domestic hobbyists can always use amplifier(s) so big they never clip, so this point is lessened.

I have a little theory; much of the music we listen to in the west uses the equal temperament scale, consequently only the octave intervals of the fundamentals being played fit accurately within the harmonic series. The more complex the music, the more dissonances created by the second harmonic distortion.

The problem became with more harmonics with complex music because In the case of even harmonics If you make a chord of C with C, you will have an equivalent to C, both up and down, but in the same note, a unison. For the case of odd harmonics, if you make an A 440 with a C 1046.5 which could be your third harmonic, you will have a resulting note that can sound non-euphonically with the one the author wanted it to sound. Imagine a passage in forte of a Bruckner symphony in which monstrous chords sound at high volume; the melodies that composed the harmonies are lost if the amplifier produces many odd harmonics; likewise, the production of even harmonics is not desirable, although less so, since they will interfere with other odd notes. That is why it is better that there is almost no harmonic distortion for symphonic music and on the other hand intermodulation can be prevented by biamplifying or triamplifying.
Best Regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.