"Where’s My Petabyte Disk Drive?" blogpost

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The spinners will eventually become obsolete in a decade or so, but...

SSDs may not be good for long-term archival purposes; at least some types can get corrupted if they're not powered up for very long periods. Not all DVD and Blu-ray media may be a good bet for long-term archives either; at least keep the discs in a cool, dry--and dark--place.

Not sure how I could accumulate petabytes of anything. But give 'em a few more years and the technology will become available. I just don't want to defrag it.

The author of that article makes some interesting points--good read!

--Damon

Last edited:
Well it is always fun to speculate what are the possibilities that we don't know are ahead of us

Sadly creativity disappears when we do know what is ahead of us.

HDD is at practical limits. And I don't mean the so called practical limits predicted by university professors (some guy said 65nm for CPU lol) or theoretical limits that scientists give. The last few years we have been pretty much stuck at 1TB/platter or just a bit more at 1.33TB but at a cost (shingled or helium). SSD has already overtook HDD in terms of density and a 15TB SSD exists in 2.5-inch form factor, albeit with lots of stacked dies but fact remains NAND Flash practical limits is way denser in area and in 3D volume and weight.

And at the same time being faster than HDD and can work at 70 degrees C.

Many reliability problems that plague SSD can plague HDD also. If HDD even dares to go that dense that is.

Oh and why the development speed is a straight line? Because the industry says so. Don't want to kill the cash cow too quickly.

BTW since the post talked about fast system memory that doesn't lose data when powered off, NV-DIMM is now the next big thing. Even now, when the technology isn't even there yet, companies are producing an emulated version using super capacitors attached to a normal RAM. In order for a new technology to work, you need a system to make use for it. So these fake NV-DIMM do that job while system integrators think of what to do with this new power. To illustrate, even if you placed NV-DIMM into a personal computer now, when you shut down and restart the computer, it still starts from POST. Because that is how the system works. It doesn't care if the data is still in the ram (And in a hot reboot, the data does remain in the RAM. People old enough will remember such viruses).

Very fast NAND like 3D X point can do this job. RRAM was once hyped as the future universal memory. But even then the memory heirachy will remain with faster smaller memory and slower bigger memory. Even though things like SRAM is physically the same for L1 L2 L3, and NAND / NOR flash use the same flash cell but arranged in a NAND vs NOR manner for density or speed. Because wiring is always a pain.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
oi, less of the 'young un'. I'm not grey yet, but was born in the 60s. :)

There is a resurgence in all sorts of old things amongst the hipster generation, along with their man buns and matching beards. film cameras that were worthless 5 years ago fetch something again as people rediscover the joys of having no idea if your pictures were good until after you get them back from developing!

for me tubes never went away. products like the fatman tubed ipod dock/amp probably did a lot to get them back in peoples minds, but whilst a teenager wants to shred on their guitar, there will be tube amps :)

I guess you could work out a lot by plotting disposable income in the 18-30 group by faddy rediscovery of things. And sure people have done just that!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.