Where to position sound system to avoid room modes/standing waves?

So we've been doing several events recently with our system composed of 4 keystones, 4 hd15s and 2 syntripps. In most of the venues we have no issues at all but 2 of the events where in long narrow spaces and I found we where really struggling to get any bass to project any further than a few metres in front of the system. For context the systems where placed front centre 2-4m from the back wall facing straight forwards.
Now we normally don't struggle to have other places shaking but for these 2, we has no end of problems trying to eek anything out.

So the question is, how can I avoid this in the future? Would setting up more towards one side and toeing them onwards be an amount be enough to stop any standing waves or room modes? Are we placing the system too far from the back wall rather than closer and making use of the additional gain you would get from the rear wall/corner.

Does this sound like a standing waves/room modes issue? I know you can't eq it away or use delays as I tried pretty much everything I could think of bar trying to shunt the massive stack about to fix it!.

Tia

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi,
You can't avoid room modes. Never.... except in outdoor.
The only possible answer is multi sub technique. Search for Earl Geddes paper @Gedlee.com.
There is variations around the theme, often used in cinema, search Jbl paper from Welti/Devantier.

If you decide to use wall to 'reinforce' bass you'll have this effect but you'll too excite all room's mode at same time. Can work or not.
Better distribute subs all around, mono them below circa 80/150hz and use the approach given in both papers.

If dancefloor is clearly defined, use of cardio subs could work too but i've never used them in a case like that.
Best regards.

Last edited:
The easiest way to reduce reflections is to use one point for the bass/sub speakers to go.
If you have two bass speakers, place them one on top of the other or next to each other.
Position doesn't matter as we cannot determine where bass comes from so both together on the edge of the stage is fine.
Treble is a different matter, we cannot easily hear reflected treble so it makes little difference where they go.