where to buy a high quality toroidal in the UK?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got the info from an diyaudio member and was thinking of crossing to aquire a set of custom toroids, prices for custom orders are quite favorable at Airlink.
Right after posting on this thread our Danish expert, who had participated in an Airlink gb, informed me they are not audio quality. My mistake.

the problem is that people think they can have good quality for about half the price of good quality.
Maybe those people are right. You can buy a good quality transformer from Schuro for less than a lower quality in the Netherlands.

Remember quality is in the eye of the beholder. And I consider an electrostatic screen to be part and parcel of a good transformer..a magnetic screen is nice but not essential.

Where are the good quality toroïdal transformers available for an individual? (Off the shelf?) Just 10 addresses in the UK and 10 in the Netherlands will be ok.;) Probably a very easy task in these trillion dollar economies.

Bas Horneman said:

Where are the good quality toroïdal transformers available for an individual? (Off the shelf?) Just 10 addresses in the UK and 10 in the Netherlands will be ok.;) Probably a very easy task in these trillion dollar economies.

As I have never had a need for looking across the border of Denmark, I can't help you there, but if you find it hard to find a manufacturer who can make what you want, take a look at these two:

Trafotek (Denmark)
TransElectro (also in Denmark)

Both are able to make pretty much whatever you want, and to whatever quality standard you'd like.

I spent quite a bit of time asking around for the 1KVA 2*18V group buy last year, and found that a number of trafo manufacturers (even without looking outside Denmark) can and will make pretty much anything you could imagine. The problem is that most people can't understand that they are not buying an off the shelf product, and that the price reflects that.

That people can't understand that a trafo for their specific application does not exist off the shelf, and that a custom trafo is at least 3 times as expensive, unfortunately have made many manufacturers reluctant to spending time on average Joe, but if you make it clear when taking contact to the respective company that you actually have understood that, you will find that a lot of doors are wide open for you.

Magura :)

Bas Horneman said:
But won't do business with just anyone

Bas,

i jabbed Hans Eckehard Rother's head off for hours and hours in his Schuro storage last year.
World politics, coffee, fags, the works, also had lengthy email exchanges with him.
Surely, if he'll do business with a fool like me who harasses anyone in the audio world, anyone goes ! :clown:

(i have been buying Schuro and Thel stuff from back when they advertised in "klang&Ton" , not on the net, could make a tiny difference.
I wonder if anyone on diyaudio ever built the Holger Stein hybrid class A with PCC88/IRFP240/IRFP9240 featured in K&T in the early 90s ?)

I have 1800va toroids from TBS in Zwaag(Hoorn), seem pretty good.

Hi Jacco,

(i have been buying Schuro and Thel stuff from back when they advertised in "klang&Ton" , not on the net, could make a tiny difference)

Aha! That makes all the difference in the world I think!
Plus I suppose you speak the language?

Unfortunately they don't accept credit cards.....

Regards,
Bas

So I maintain that is impossible to buy the quality I want conveniently in the Netherlands without resorting to custom transformer work (this side of the Atlantic ocean) :smash:

PS..and apparently not in the UK either.

I'm a lingua-dict.
(Hans Eckehard and i are about the same age, share some general views, most probably why both him and me enjoyed talking that long)

If i were that pleased with the local grocery store, i would not be checking the neighbors lawn. If you ever get the 10 adresses i'd like them too, please.
And thank you for investing so much of your time in this forum.
(i wish i could delete my posts like you guys do :clown: )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.