Where, oh where, can I get the parts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm new to the forum, but I have read a lot here and I think i understand the way things go. People give advice or people ask for specific advice. I'm here to ask for some advice, if you would be so kind as to advise me. I want to make my own projector using (what I think from what I have seen) the best OHP, 3M 9700. Maybe there is a better one? If so, please do tell! for my projection panel I think I'll use a Proxima Ovation+ 944 or a Polaroid Polaview 3000. The only problem is that I have found only one OHP on ebay and neither on the panels there (even though many people here have one or two). I just want to know where i can get these other than ebay? Maybe i just have to wait for the right time? Any advice will be much appreciated, thanks!

However, taking apart an old LCD runs the risk of destroying the screen, correct? I'm not sure if that's a risk I can afford to take, unless there are certain LCDs that are fairly easy to take apart. Do you know of any 15" screens that are pretty cheap, have at least an 800x600 resolution and can be easliy taken apart? I know that may be a lot to ask, but if you do know then could you please tell me? Thanks!

Muftobration said:
However, taking apart an old LCD runs the risk of destroying the screen, correct? I'm not sure if that's a risk I can afford to take, unless there are certain LCDs that are fairly easy to take apart. Do you know of any 15" screens that are pretty cheap, have at least an 800x600 resolution and can be easliy taken apart? I know that may be a lot to ask, but if you do know then could you please tell me? Thanks!

I have a Samsung 510M 15" LCD (2004 model) has really good specs and is easy to strip and has no wires in the way. Alot of people on these forums have said this LCD is excelent for DIT projector (thats why i bought one) And they arent that expensive either. I got mine off ebay, brand new, with shipping and taxs for $190 Canadian. Search it on ebay and be patient.

Also, i heard most of the newer "BENQ" LCD monitors are all pretty good to use in these projects. The main problem with buying LCD monitors is when you take them apart, alot of them have wires that are short and get in the way if you want to move the circuit boards and usually need extended (these extensions could be ordered but still pretty tough to install for beginers) Search the net for compatible LCD monitors, alot of forums have lists or people who add monitors that they have used that work, like i am doing now :)

Good luck, and ask alot of questions so you end up getting the right stuff. Also, alot of the free plans out there are ok for starters, but are out of date, so you might want to use those as guidelines and use the forums to help you out. Its not something you can jump right into and expect to finish in a few hours. Not to scare you, just letting you know :)

good luck

Honestly, dont waste your time on a LCD panel. They are old technology. That panel you aske d about was probably made in 1999 ish. .. They stopped making these panels as far as i know and started making LCD prjectors....... I cant find the specs, b ut i found out the contrast rate is only 200:1, which is low. good contrast rate is around 400:1 to get a good picture, if its lower like the ovation LCD, than the picture will be very dull you will barely be able to see dark scenes on tv or movies etc.... If you can get that panel for under $75 and you are on a budget, than by all means get it.. but you will want to upgrade it soon after when you get more money...... The specs arent that bad, for a LCD pnale, it is actuallly pretty good, but for a DIY Projector, it isnt. Plus, the response time on this panel is probably very high (which is a bad thing) like all LCD panels because they are not meant for video, mainly for text. So, if you're trying t o watch fast moving images, be prepared to have a blured image because the pixels cant load fast enough .... You want a panel or monitor with a responce time of 30ms or less. hopefully 20ms or less will get you very good watchable image without any blurryness or image lagging.

ACtually the 944 is a great panel for older technology the true max res is 1280x1024 which is higher then my lcd*monitor which is a Samsung syncmaster 152n 15inch which only goes max to 1024x768 you can only get the 1280x1024 over a computer cable to the proxima ovation 944+ which is a c800-6 cable which is a 13w3-vga or 13c3-vga cable i found one online at projector doctor 80 bucks but i also found a schematic pin lay out for the cable and i posted it here on this site if you search c800-6 and wanna make your own or look up a cable place online and ask for a custom cable . now buying and finding a ovation 944+ its sorta hard and pricey really i got lucky and got one with a lil tinny unnoticable scratch on the panel for 160 shipped my uncle got one for 300 bucks a few weeks later plus he had to pay more for shipping and i dont even know if his works yet cause i havent been there to help him set up i seen another one sell for 350 on ebay and ive been seeing them pop up on ebay every few weeks personaly i LOVE mine even over rca and svideo which is lower res and stretched on top of a 3m9700 im about 15 feet away and got about 100 inches or so diagonal image and im perty happy with what i get out of it but im not expecting HDTV heh truely i think if you used this set up and got nice refelctive screen material , ive just bene usen a really shity wall and it still is great , ive found the best usen computer connections and adjusting every thing manualy contrast and brightness with your advanced options for the video card . my uncle was talkn about selling his panel if he cant get it working but its pricey he would want what he put in to it and i think he spent about 300 on the panel and i think 150 for the overhead and once i set it up for him i dont htink he will get rid of he heh but keep looking on ebay if you want a cheap easy way i spent under 300 shipped and im happy it just took me a few weeks to find the right deals . i bet a 15inch lcd would be nicer but i dont know my 944 is fast theres alot of specs out there for it as well and the responce time is around 30ms its not bad i play video games on it with the xbox flawlessly so if that helps on responce time issues if i get a new monitor for my pc ill take this samsung 152 apart and throw it on top of the projector but really theres alot of work to it building a frame to keep the lcd at least what i thnk 6mm over the ferensals and doing something with all the cables ffc and power and connection boards or let em hang off i mean i do have all the tools and a nice work bench in the garage to do it but im not up for it at the moment . over all if you can find a proxima 944 for cheap id pick it up in fact if you see one and dont want it let me know heh i have friends that want one if its cheap enough . and heh i was even thinking of selling this computer amd64 3000 with 7 hard drives 5 of which are scsi its cable and satellite ready for cardless satellite usen a dvb-s pci card cable fm am ready with another card with rca svideo and coax inputs and a readon 9600 pro card with tv and dvi outs dvdrw 12x cdrw 52x 512mb ddr400 fw usb2.0 in a nice big SOHO case its a dark blue case with a glass side i even got a light i dont use in it that could go and if some one was close and wanted the torodial t55 sat dish that goes with it and a 5.1 speaker system for it 15inch lcd hell id throw in the logitech mouse and ms natural kb a whole deal but id want lots of cash! like id be thinking around 1500 for all . besides that IM KEEPING THE 944 heh :cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.