where do i get that cool cable weave stuff?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i know its kinda vague, but you know they stuff thats on the outside of high end cables? that kinda nylon weave or webbing that is on the outside?

it kinda looks like this: (color doesnt matter)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

i am looking to make my own power cable, and wanted it to look really nice. thanks guys!

AWESOME!

im gonna try and make an entry level power cable. anyone have any advice? was going for 99.999% pure copper, oxygen free, etc, etc, 10guage, and Marinco IEC's. then shield with a copper braiding, then a coat of the polyester mesh braid to finish it off.

then get some good heatshrink tubing to finish off the ends. think this could be a good alternative to stock power cables? (and alternative to overpriced commercial ones?)

woohoo! post #200. first post seems like only yesterday ;)

Hmm

Hmm Im working on an interconnect power cord between a preamp and power supply.

I'm using MIL-SPEC connectors, 3-pin, blue inserts, you can get them on Ebay.

10 guage teflon insulated silver coated copper wire, also military surplus. See ebay.

Two wires per pin, each individual shielded with an outer shielding, and that polyester braid over the entire thing, with black heatshrink at the ends.

They are monsters.

-- Aaron

If you MUST fool around with power cables, be sure to twist the wires to minimize stray magnetic fields that will emanate from the power cord to other cables lying nearby. If you don't twist the wires, your fancy-looking, expensive power cord won't be as good as your average $2 IEC line cord which already has the leads twisted in the jacket.

The cable-weave stuff is normally used to hold multiple cables close together so they don't hang all over and get in the way or get caught in machinery. In a power cord that already has a jacket, cable-weave stuff is strictly used to make it look nice (i.e.- to attempt to partially justify the ridiculous expense of an "audio-grade" power cord).

Do you actually expect to hear some change in the sound produced by your system?

The best domestic use for cable-weave stuff is making "Chinese finger traps" for kids to play with.

MR

Something like this?
This is what I use for my speaker cables.
I got it form farnell at www.farnell.com.
It´s called cable sleeving.

Attachments

• viper5.jpg
    viper5.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 247
It's called Techflex

http://www.heatshrink.com has a huge selection of it in addition to their namesake product. You can also find it (and most anything else) at McMaster-Carr. http://www.mcmaster.com search for sleeving.

The manufacturer's website is http://www.techflex.com

If you're going to use it on a cable close to the max. diameter of the sleeving, you'll need a longer length of techflex as it gives up length when it expands.

Greg

In a power cord that already has a jacket, cable-weave stuff is strictly used to make it look nice (i.e.- to attempt to partially justify the ridiculous expense of an "audio-grade" power cord).

Good one! :D I agree.

Higher end power cables may have better physical characteristics ... i.e. more flexible, or tighter connection, etc, which may be worth it. My opinion is right with yours however. Some of my aquarium power cables do oxidize, but my 20 year old Technics power amp's connectors are still bright and shiny.

Hats off to anyone doing this though, it's your hobby!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.