Where can I get custom power transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
IMG_5379.JPG IMG_5375.JPG IMG_5371.JPG IMG_5369.JPG IMG_5368.JPG IMG_5367.JPG
And the build date is 04/!!/1984
SN 055 and 056. Some of the first ones he built
I did find a bunt fuse on one of the boards
Transformer looks just fine so far. Need to get some small hands inside and pull the fuse and see what’s going on
Anyway. They both look like they need a complete update on all the capacitors some of them are starting to get a little puffy on the tops of them

Ok, first time we see the famous transformer (should have been on the very first post). ;)

Identify and label all secondary wires and disconnect them.

If you have plain wire ends, tape them for safety.

Apply mains to primary, through fuse or lightbulb limiter and check whether transformer is actually blown or not.

I suspect not, but let´s check it anyway.

Tube amplifiers, at the end of life of a tube, often blow a fuse.
Did you try to put in new tubes and a new fuse?
Because if not, then maybe that would be a logical starting point?
My gut statistical feeling says that the transformer is the last thing that would fail in a construct like that. Did you check the condition / health of anode resistors? Cathode resistors?
Besides, the thing is filthy inside. High voltages plus dirt may equal stray shorts / unwanted connections.
How about trying to dust the thing off, for starters? Just to get rid of the loose dust? Blow it off with air or something?
I would also thoroughly clean all the ceramic tube sockets with some alcohol. Tube sockets may also be a place where grime builds up and shorts can emerge.

Last edited:
That is on my short list of things to do tomorrow. I’ve checked the gold tone caps on the power rail and they seam to be with in 20% of the 15000uf
And your right about how nasty and dirty it is
The blown fuse is on the - power rail
I have one other amp that I’ll pull the top off and use it for comparison on testing anything I can reach
The first pic show one of the gold tone caps, am I right to say that the board looks burnt?
That cap tasted ok
Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated
IMG_5373.JPG IMG_5371.JPG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.