when technology has actualy slowed us down

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
if you go back in time, DMM was adopted on pseudo science foundations, however it really saved cost and was adopted for cost reasons. .
DMM? Direct Metal Mastering, Digital Multi Meter?

oddly to say that... but I am :( I heard that it costs you about 50 000 euros just to pay the European patent office for a full proof protection for your patent...Then you have to sell the damn thing!

OK, but I can list a lot of things that you cannot make for $100.

Account Closed
Joined 2010
OK, but I can list a lot of things that you cannot make for $100.
I referred mainly to cassette decks, turntables ,cd players , and dacs.

I think that any reputable company like denon, sony, philips, lg, etc... can do any of them at the highest needed quality for less than 100 bucks and i mean it.

Nagra made that mini reel to reel for CIA 50 years ago.Do you think that they can't do it better and cheaper now?

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Precision engineering is still expensive. Cheap cassette decks even when made in the millions had pressed steel (or cheese in some cases) mechanisms. But you can get a CD players that does redbook as good as it needs for £200 which is impressive.

Turntables are not made in enough quantity to get far on 100 though, neither are speakers (decent ones anyway)

There is a good story about why you don't mix on an iPad from Sophia Vergara's wedding in Palm Beach

do go on ....

Yes please Pano, I tried to google but couldn't find it.

Jim, probably a pay per view scenario?
And as for largest tablet, the new 12” iPad Pro looks like a pretty serious machine - available with up to 1TB memory. More than $100, though.
gabdx - how much space would that have taken old school ( pre solid state)

Last edited:
Sorry man - that Apple stuff is too rich for my blood. :(

I was looking at a decent Samsung 10" at BigBox the other day. Was a bit surprised to discover that I could download the QSC TouchMix Android app to the display model right there in the store and try it out (without an actual mixer to control, of course). This is an 8 core processor, which was noticeably zippier than the little 7 or 8" iPad I had to use previously with this group. Combined with the larger screen, I think it'll work. On sale for 200 bucks.

Computers. While allowing for a lot of incredible improvements, they also enabled the abomination of Autotune.

Its not all Autotune, there is also Melodyne that can retune and re-time individual notes and or individual strings of a recorded acoustic guitar.

Then there is VocAlign. Those perfectly tuned and timed vocal harmonies may not have come from just one effects processor.

I might add that not everyone hears or objects to the sound of Autotune. Just like not everyone objects to the sound of 16/44 or even mp3. Some people don't like the sound of some products of technology, but most do or the technologies wouldn't be used as much as they are (one might argue).

Its not all Autotune, there is also Melodyne that can retune and re-time individual notes and or individual strings of a recorded acoustic guitar.
Then there is VocAlign. Those perfectly tuned and timed vocal harmonies may not have come from just one effects processor.
The re-timing thing sounds like a particularly bad idea, unless there is some adjustable tolerance? I did a music technology course some years back and after programming tracks was encouraged to randomly shift timings slightly away from perfection to make it feel more "musical"

... after programming tracks was encouraged to randomly shift timings slightly away from perfection to make it feel more "musical"

That's a different thing. Like most things, better if the artists can perform the way they and the producer want the music to sound. If the artists can't do it, then then next best choice is usually to hire top-notch studio musicians to play the parts under NDA.

When the above options can't happen, then there is not usually enough money to pay a 'pro-tools operator' for fix everything by hand (for best results with vocals it means tuning, timing, and volume dynamics must be meticulously adjusted syllable by syllable). Fixing the lead vocal track on one pop tune can take a really good PT operators 8-hours of work for a 3-minute song. Most artists can't afford that much PT operator work to make a great pop recording, so Autotune gets set to 'auto' mode instead. Problem is, studio players can replace the band, but the production is stuck with the lead vocalist sound, so the only option is the worst one: fix it in the mix.

Also, when one takes an introductory course in mixing, often one may be introduced to various things that can be tried to see how they might work in a given musical situation. Playing around making timing more 'off' from metronomical to make music more expressive is one of those things that might not work out very well in many cases. Usually, the musicians are already too off in time to make time shifting helpful, IME. If no real musicians, only synths and samplers, then a bit of time shifting might turn out to be more helpful.

Account Closed
Joined 2010
Now find someone to make you a brand new pair of corner yorks for $100.
It's all about patent protection and more money for the owners, but "we"(not exactly me and you :)) do have all the technology to make those speakers for 100 bucks too!
I saw a pair of red 15 in stereo 2 m tall cabinets made in the 50's or 60's...and there's nothing in the world that could make me believe that there's no technology today to make those speakers for 50 bucks!

With today's technology they could make a cassette player that would equal the most expensive Nakamichi at 1/10 th of the original price, but if everything would be cheap there would be no way to pay the designers, the Patents Office , the sales men and the CEO! With today's technology, every single piece of stereo high end audio would be brought to perfection and manufactured with less than 100 bucks.

I always wonder why with today's technology why manufactures havent gone back to manufacturing and advancing OTL speaker technology, considering the sound quality, price and availability of used OTL speakers and why musical instrument amplifiers manufacture's havent started producing OTL equiptment.
With the high price people are prepared to pay for vintage style amplifiers....... a tubes amp with a clear instant response like a SS there must be a market out there, I cant see why larger companies wouldnt start manufacturing if your company had financial backing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.