What's the best 8" fullrange that you've heard?

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
Have heard some fostex and tang band, but my favorite is an auido nirvana super 8 alnico. Fairly new to this hobby, but has anyone here have owned a pair of audio nirvana 8 alnico? I find this drivers smooth but detailed and plenty of LF and HF and fast. Poormans lowther for me. :)
am I crazy here, but this is your first post?
I have nothing against audionirvana, but god damn, if I was a builder of drivers, I may entertain the idea to plug my company name, once in a while, in specific thread that you know that newbies will search in, like, "best this, or best that''. In a "best fullrange ever" thread, I would surely think of putting my company name.

I think there is way to many people here with either business preoccupation or not enough real experience to really comment on a "best fullrange ever". I mean, I have heard maybe five fullrange in my life, I wont come in this thread and name my opinion, my opinion aint worth ****, its not a informed opinion at all. maybe others should do the same.

to go back to the thread, the best fullrange I've heard, and its more a coax, is a tannoy 15 inch red

jay

Last edited:
am I crazy here, but this is your first post?
I have nothing against audionirvana, but god damn, if I was a builder of drivers, I may entertain the idea to plug my company name, once in a while, in specific thread that you know that newbies will search in, like, "best this, or best that''. In a "best fullrange ever" thread, I would surely think of putting my company name.

I think there is way to many people here with either business preoccupation or not enough real experience to really comment on a "best fullrange ever". I mean, I have heard maybe five fullrange in my life, I wont come in this thread and name my opinion, my opinion aint worth ****, its not a informed opinion at all. maybe others should do the same.

to go back to the thread, the best fullrange I've heard, and its more a coax, is a tannoy 15 inch red

jay
it is indeed my very first post, thank you for welcoming me, I cant understand what you mean by your post, its either you are telling me that im plugging in a company name, ( i do hope i own one) or you are just telling me that i am a total newbie and does not know what i'm talking about, well either way thats the purpose why this thread is made to give your impression on drivers that you have heard and owned. And it is specifically stated that it should be an 8 incher, so i guess tannoy 15 inch does not count.

@Jay, i can assure you that shrek7 does not represent any business interest...he is just being an eager beaver the likes of which tend to develop brand loyalty, easy on the guy, will you?;)
whoa! Thanks sir TonyT, im just really looking for someone who owns the same brand, perhaps they would enlighten me on how to maximize my gear. Anyway, sorry if i offended someone. Im not here to promote brand loyalty or something. Im just here, thinking i might learn something. Been a member for quite sometime, just lurking. And here i am at my second post feeling bullied. Anyway thanks again tony.

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
it is indeed my very first post, thank you for welcoming me, I cant understand what you mean by your post, its either you are telling me that im plugging in a company name, ( i do hope i own one) or you are just telling me that i am a total newbie and does not know what i'm talking about, well either way thats the purpose why this thread is made to give your impression on drivers that you have heard and owned. And it is specifically stated that it should be an 8 incher, so i guess tannoy 15 inch does not count.
hey, I didnt mean it to take it seriously. it was more a broad concern. sorry if you feel offended, that might have come out rude, that was not my intent.

Yes, I meant what I said; used as a midband from 200 - 2.000 Hz in an OB the modified Coral Beta sounded absolutely fabulous.

I am not urging people to do such things to a brilliant vintage fullrange speaker normally, but I happened to have a pair of these with damaged whizzer cones, hence my excercise with the Stanley knife... No guts, no glory! FWIW, I have untouched mint condition Beta 8's also, for comparison.

Lack of funds kept me from pursuing the grail of a true full range 8 inch speaker. Whizzer cone (Fostex, Pioneer) tizziness and "inversion" of cymbals was too irritating. Hard dome versions (Stephens, JBL, Jensen P8P) lacked extension to my ears. Gross generalizations, but my two cents. Heard a lot of good things about the 755A and the Hartley 220 MS, never got the chance to hear them.

In the end I went coaxial. Cheap and cheerful ceiling speakers. Replaced the crossover cap with PIO and put them in a transmission line similar to (but larger than) the Optimo:

AMK - INNOVATORS IN HIGH PERFORMING COMMERCIAL LOUDSPEAKER SYSTEM

I used the CX802. Not a newb and not affiliated. Similar are made by KEF, Tannoy, Altec, Pioneer, etc. in both modern and vintage flavors. The tradeoffs of the two way were ultimately less penalizing to me than those of the full range. Maybe not a direct answer to your question, but my recommendation.

I use de Beta 8 in OB with sub in wall .......... in OB the sound is very clean especially midbass and bass , drive by a Tripath amp. , both are fast

Which tweeter you use for the high freq ? .... 2000 to 15000 and up at 100db is not common !

Whitout whizzer he can go up to 10kz or 12 with some equalization

I am a French Canadian

Hi- my first post so bear with me . Some years ago I bought my first valve amp - a tiny little spud amp on ebay - and was so taken by the sound I immediately started looking for a suitable speaker to build to make the most of it . I'd been making speakers for forty years and had a catalogue of speaker designs downloaded from the net , including the Demetri Monolith . I built a pair , bought some Hemp FR8C cheap on ebay et voila . The difference was tho at the same time I bought a Behringer DEQ . This made all the difference . From a shrill sounding speaker with nae bass the DEQ transformed it into a highly accurate , stunning speaker that needed no augmentation top or bottom . I've since built an L CAO driver into another monolith but after EQ the difference between it and the FR8 is small . All I can say from my limited experience is that if your driver has no real nasty surprises in its FR and has a decent throw and is put in a really good enclosure then digital EQ can do the rest . This probably hasn't helped in the least but hey

you may be surprised that in a recent show at the Dusit hotel showcasing diy stuff, a 4inch sony driver modified to have a phase plug and wizzers in a tl box and driven by a Dynaco ST70 clone was able to reproduce the sound of the kick drum and cymbal crashes in a track by Joe Morello, take5 it was....so much so that a guy approached me and asked me, where is your subwoofer? he was under the impression that we were keeping a sub somewhere in the room......that was the greatest compliment we got in that show...

the sony driver was harvested out of a discarded sony mini-compo a 4 inch fr.....

Big surprise,
there's not "the best", only different preferences. But it definitively is at least 5".
For Da Lesser Species and nearfield applications there's alwawys Jordan JX92.

Best current production drivers from Feastrex, Voxativ, Line Magnetic might hold their ground compared to anything else like WE/Altec, and vice versa, not to mentioning PHY-HP:s, Vacuumschmelze's , Goodmans Axioms, Coral's, RCA's, perhaps Supravox's and the best of the Lomo Kinap's etc, you name it. And the rest. And I'm only talking about drivers I have first hand own experiences.
I'm I perhaps missing a Mitsubishi here?

Big surprise,
there's not "the best", only different preferences.
Luckily.

Last edited: