What’s On the Bench Tonight (OBT)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
If you use a trafo just add a bridge (or two 1N400X diodes for half wave bridge) plus 2200uF smoothing cap. You can use the first cap of the CLC as your smoothing cap, so really all you need is a pair of diodes to rectify the AC from trafo to this board. Feed that to this board which has a CLC filter followed by MOSFET cap Mx which gives a slow soft start ramp of about 15 seconds followed by TO220 78xx format regulator at A121. You can use one of those fancy TI TPS7A4xx regs for 4uV rms. Or plain 7812. If you don’t need cap Mx, just bypass it with a jumper on pins 2-3 on V112. The CLC filter is also optional. These are really handy for sub 1A circuits needing clean single rail supply.

https://xrkaudio.etsy.com/listing/707414288

1705348202986.jpeg

I was cleaning out my basement and found a 100 ft spool of Alphawire 4 pairs of 20ga shielded wire 300v 105C rated good stuff. I bought this 25yrs ago for another non audio project and did not use it because it was too thick. But I think it might be perfect for audio applications where shielded low noise is important. This stuff was expensive as I recall. Alphawire #5620B2004. It’s obsolete but I see it on eBay for $270 for 90ft.

The shield is foil wrap plus uninsulated shield wire mixed with the foil for 12 total conductors.

I think perfect for running quadrophonic balanced XLR from front to back of the house applications.
Not heard of that one, but it looks good! OCC and Teflon dielectric really are amazing for the price in the RAMM cable, it’s Neotech level of performance for Van Damme/Sommer Cable/Belden prices!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
On the bench is one of my favorite cameras of all time. My wife got me this for my birthday 25 years ago. Too bad we don’t shoot in film anymore because this 35mm f/2.8 lens is one of the sharpest Nikon has ever made and it has a. buttery smooth color rendition and the out of focus bokeh was unique. It has a between the lens leaf shutter so can do flash sync at all speeds. Matrix meter was always spot on. It might be fun to put a roll in it and go photo shooting for a day.
IMG_0457.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2021
Paid Member
On the bench is one of my favorite cameras of all time. My wife got me this for my birthday 25 years ago. Too bad we don’t shoot in film anymore because this 35mm f/2.8 lens is one of the sharpest Nikon has ever made and it has a. buttery smooth color rendition and the out of focus bokeh was unique. It has a between the lens leaf shutter so can do flash sync at all speeds. Matrix meter was always spot on. It might be fun to put a roll in it and go photo shooting for a day. View attachment 1261875
Yes, that's a great camera - just put a film into it.
I use film cameras (and digital ones too), from 6x7 cm (Mamiya 7II), through 6x6 (Yashica Mat 124G) to 24x36mm (Leica M7) and it's so much fun!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You have some nice cameras Plott! The M7 was always sort of unobtanium, like an AMG SLR or something like that. I have a very old Bronica S2A (6x6) in all stainless steel. The mechanical shutter still works, amazingly, and an old Nikon FE. I will go and get some film! My local drugstore still processes film but only as drop off (not 1 hr).

Fuji GW690 rangefinders (looks like a Leica on steroids) can be had for a song on eBay.

Reactions: 1 user
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
On the bench tonight, I am reviving the TL cabinet I designed for the Purifi woofer but now using with the Dan Wiggins aluminum cone woofer with XBL motor and a ribbon tweeter (both drivers are custom OEM). The woofer is known for its linear BL and high Xmax of 10mm.
1705820244712.jpeg

1705820397039.jpeg

New drivers are breaking in but initial sound is very nice. Ribbon has superb top end air without any fatigue. Midrange of aluminum woofer is great. TL bass is awesome - surprising how the TL adapted to this woofer so well. Also, bezel rebate, cutout diameter and screw holes are all a perfect fit compared to Purifi 6.5in.

Here’s the DATS measurement of the woofer:
1705820647903.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
On the bench I'm testing my next project. It's going to be a companion amp for my newest streamer. It's based on the TDA8950 chipamp module I've had knocking around for several years. Testing using a +-36VDC supply. This should supply me about 75-80W conservatively using 8Ohm speakers. These are both commercial DIY products, so I didn't expect any bright flashes, sparks, or smoke - and didn't get any. (y) The sound is pretty good if not excellent from my little shop speakers. Using a little portable DAP as the source. Thought I'd let it run a bit and see if any issues develop.

PXL_20240121_192107061.jpg

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
@redjr Nice. I have not heard of TDA8950 before. Is it Class AB?

@adason - I took another DATS of a new woofer and it has less of a blip at 600Hz but something there. However, I don’t see anything anaomalous in the Freq response.

1705877003179.jpeg

You can listen to the speaker here. Sorry about the stupid loud laptop fan noise. I forget that I need to cut CPU speed to 50% before doing stuff that requires silence or the fan is running all the time.

Not seeing anything particularly long lived in the Fourier spectrogram at 600Hz either.

1705877212032.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2021
Paid Member
Hi @xrk971 and @Vunce , I'm looking for a new driver and came across your project with the W8-2314. Especially Vunce, but of course the others too: Do you have any long-term listening experience with this driver, especially how the somewhat jagged upper range affects it, as this cannot be completely smoothed out even with the XO. Or is it just there but not audible?
Many thanks.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Plott,
The W8-2145 is a nice driver if you can find it. I personally, would love to have one.
The crossover that I developed for it seems to sound very good. A refresher here for those who may not have seen the post in the 10F/RS225 FAST thread.

Our ears can’t hear dips very well. As long as the peaks are at about the average level, it should sound ok.

IMG_0541.jpeg

IMG_0542.png

IMG_0543.png

IMG_0544.png

Microphone response is inverted (step should be positive rising edge)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Maybe you can use the XO because it is at 4kHz. The baffle width has more to do with bass extension. The crossover region is more controlled by the coaxial cone itself and to a lesser degree, the baffle width.

4kHz implies that the 1/2 wave cancellation distance needs to be at least 4.3cm from the driver edge to the baffle edge. I don’t think you have a problem there on your OB.

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Thanks X, I will try it/start with it for shure, and the upper range could work without changes.
But I have to take care of the impedance and spl with the woofer, because the sensitivity of this driver is lower that that of the woofer.
Could be a fun project (y)
Btw... you should sleep more:)