What's causing the "pop". Mixer input mutes.

Hi,

Im having trouble with switch pop noice when I active channels. Its a big mixer with 20 stereo inputs and 12 mono.. The schematic only shows the four first inputs on the left side but you get the idea. I wanted to leave out all the 20K resistors when they are not in use to minimize the noice from them.. (there is a lot of them with 32 inputs..) therefore I placed the switch after them. The pop noice is only present first time I activate the channel.. If I mute the channel then active it again the switch pop is gone... Same goes for all channels the pop is only there the first time I switch.

Any ideas how the make the "pop" go away?

The mixer is used with keyboards/synthesizers.

Key_Mix_1.png

Joined 2011
The coupling capacitors lack a DC path to ground when the switch is open,
and cause a pop as they charge when the switch is closed.

At each node where each coupling capacitor connects to each 20k resistor,
add a 1M resistor to ground. No more pops.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks PRR and thanks rayma!

So there is two different ways to do it?

200K resistor to VB (VB is 12 volt)

OR

1M resistor to ground.

So both alternatives will give the same result?
Thanks again really appreciate your help
Not exactly. All resistors need to go to your "VB" since this is a single supply circuit. "Ground" in this case is actually the negative rail and bleeding to it will make a very big pop. When Rayma saz "ground", he means the bias ground which is "VB" in this circuit. He is thinking in terms of a typical op-amp circuit that uses a bipolar supply. Yours is not. PRR chose 200K instead of 1 meg because it is 10x the 20k resistors, but I would go with 1 meg.

Reactions: 1 user
Not exactly. All resistors need to go to your "VB" since this is a single supply circuit. "Ground" in this case is actually the negative rail and bleeding to it will make a very big pop. When Rayma saz "ground", he means the bias ground which is "VB" in this circuit. He is thinking in terms of a typical op-amp circuit that uses a bipolar supply. Yours is not. PRR chose 200K instead of 1 meg because it is 10x the 20k resistors, but I would go with 1 meg.
Thanks!

No.

The value is not critical. 200k, 1Meg, whatever.

Rayma and I both overlooked that you have a single-rail supply. The opamp idles at half rail, VB. The capacitor bias must be half-rail. I initially posted what Rayma proposed, then saw my error, and changed my inage.

So the pull down resistor will not have any effect on the input impedance? I will still have 20K input Z regardless the value of the pull down resistor?