What would you consider a quality component?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have seen a thread started by Peter Daniel and others regarding quality pots...ets.

I was wondering if anyone could supply links/opinions about other quality components. My INTENT is for this to be an educational thread.

Examples... Differences in capacitors, transformers, solder!
I am still an amateur and when all things are equal (value ratings), I can't understand why one would be considerably more expensive or why someone would stand by a certain brand make?

Are there really differences when the ratings are equal between two products?

Thanks,
Dominick in New Jersey
P.S. Educational links wanted!

I would say that the best thing would be to follow some DIY gurus advices on component brands.You should buy exactly the same components in the same store and put them in your gainclone.This way you don't have to bother with listening tests between different parts.
And please, don't mind the price - only expensive sound is good sound! There is no place for no-name caps, resistors and wires.
Regards

Igla said:
I would say that the best thing would be to follow some DIY gurus advices on component brands.You should buy exactly the same components in the same store and put them in your gainclone.This way you don't have to bother with listening tests between different parts.
And please, don't mind the price - only expensive sound is good sound! There is no place for no-name caps, resistors and wires.
Regards

I priced two of the caps in one of the articles above, compared to two caps I'm using. Mine are not no name, but they only cost a few dollars each, both combined were under $10. The ones in the article cost about $160 for the pair. The best thing is for noone to blindly opt to pay 16x the price because someone else said it is better.

In reality, every cap that may sound different is really just offering a different amount and type of distortion. You're not picking the one that sounds best, you're picking the one that distorts the sound the way you like it.

That said, if you're willing to spend $100 on a single capacitor, instead of the $4 for another high quality part (but non "audiophile grade"), spend $104 on both of them and find out for yourself.

I hope Igla's remarks are sarcasm... either that or they are just foolish.

Narcisse91 makes far more sense. "Audiophile" components are generally a scam... don't be a victim.

BTW... you don't want opinions... you want facts. Audiophile parts doesn't usually come with facts... testimonials yes... more opinions... are they are not impartial. Read "The King's New Clothes" for more insight.

:D

I think on the issue of input caps there is some real hog wash talked, and that there are seriously good alteratives to 'audiophile caps'. In england you can get the LCR range of for a few quid at maplin and to me they seems like great input caps.

As for power supply caps i think that personally i have heard more difference betwen brands but think that generally getting some Panasonic FC's will often get you 98.5% of the way there and if you are prepared to pay 10x the price to try some black gates or what ever to see if they work in this application and help the sound quality fair enough. For me thought generally they are the best happy medium.

Phil

Dominick,

"The Kings New Clothes" is on the net somewhere I'm sure... and it is quick reading.

On a serious note, when you are building something in particular, please post and some people will offer sound/sane/thoughtful recommendations. It very difficult to make sweeping recommendations about part brands etc... although there are certainly those "experts" who will do just that. Caps and resistors can be tricky things to select and buy... I have seen good designs go bad because someone used the WRONG type of part... AND it was an "audiophile" or expensive part.

Quality sound in most cases is more about design and less about brand name parts... there are many fine sounding amps etc... built from low cost parts; and that is where the real expertise comes in to play; and is also at your diposal (listen to the old techs/engineers/cheapskates with NOTHING to sell).

:D

[EDIT] sorry dude mispelled your name...

:smash:
:xeye:

A quality component is one that delivers the specifications at a competitive price...there are some components which deliver to spec and sell to a price point like jewelry on Jermyn street.

OS-CONs and WIMAs might be one such set of components in the former group.

Analog Devices and Thaler voltage references.

Caddock resistors.

Excelta hand tools.

jackinnj,

While I appreciate your comment and respect it, I disagree with your definition of quality. Now, I am not well off by any means, but I think that "quality" (especially with audio components) should be established WITHOUT reference to price!

This is tricky becuase, I EVEN SAY that "this such n such is good quality for the money"!!! So, I see your point 100%...

But in this discussion, I am trying to learn simply what it is that is different between two like items that makes them different in "audio quality"...not just price!! I hope I am making sense.

Kinda like speaker wire. I could spend 100 or 1000 on a meter of wire that does the same thing and while they are both good quality in their price range, you can't put them in a group and label them both "good quality" because obviously there will be differences however slight and however much they are influenced by money.

Another example: Is a TOP OF THE LINE speaker system at best buy...REALLY top of the line.

POINT TO ALL ...for this thread, please do not consider price. I want to learn about all types of components and what makes some better than others regardless of price or availability.

Thank you
Dominick
PS. jackinnj, This was written with respect for your comment, not annoyance.

POINT TO ALL

Dominick22 said:
jackinnj,
I disagree with your definition of quality...for this thread, please do not consider price. I want to learn about all types of components and what makes some better than others regardless of price or availability.

ok, here's my list, i guess some folks were meant to buy retail:

OS-CONs, WIMAs, ASC Caps, Siemens silver-caps, and any polycarbonate I can get my hands on (especially TRW).

Analog Devices and Thaler voltage references.

Analog Devices (AD797, AD825, SSM2019, SSM2018, SSM2142), Burr Brown and Linear Tech opamps (LT1028, LT1155).

Linear Tech linear voltage regulators.

Caddock resistors, Beckman Helipots

Excelta hand tools.

Connectors -- gold plated SMA's for me.

my Keithley nanovoltmeter is ultra-high quality, but wasn't expensive...how anyone can live without one is beyond me...and I wish I had a digital back for my Rollei 6008i...if wishes were horses beggars would ride...

Let's get serious...
There are differences (bigger or smaller) in sound between different components.But it is hard to tell what makes those differences.Are Black Gates so much better than Panasonic caps?Perhaps they are but surely the difference in sound is not so big as the difference in price.But what makes those diferences?I don't know.
The point is that if you want to investigate those differences you must prepare yourselve to spend a fortune on parts and you better be single and without kids because all you will do will be swaping parts and listening parts.In that case you better follow the advice from my previous post.
But if you are not some ''has the trumpet on my system the same sound as in Jazz club'' fanatic and DIY if fun for you then go to the shop, buy some parts, build yourselve an amp or whatever and just enjoy the music.Have some fun.Don't waste your time here.
I would not bet on expensive parts but on topology of circuit.
Regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.