• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What would most of you do?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Those Parmekos will be Admiralty pattern transformers, and yes, they will contain PCBs. I also have a mercury-in-glass clinical thermometer that I place under my tongue so that I have documentary evidence of how unwell I am. The point is that in each case, the poison is contained. It's probably best not to place an Admiralty pattern transformer under your tongue, but even if you chewed on it, it's a bit more robust than the thermometer.

There are people who will tear your arm off for the opportunity to empty their wallets into your pockets in exchange for Admiralty pattern ironware.

Interesting thing with many of these fat-soluble toxins:
they're relatively harmless UNTIL YOU DIET!

Really - they stay locked up in bodily fat reserves until the fat is metabolised, which then mobilises them in the bloodstream.

One of the reasons for the variation in anecdotal evidence!

dsavitsk said:

First, accepting, arguendo, that you are correct that PCBs are only harmful if you ingest them, I still stand by not having them in my (or your) house. By purchasing the military surplus parts, you are allowing the military to not clean up their own mess. You are, in essence, moving a toxic waste dump to your house where you are under risk of dropping, or burning, or damaging the transformer in some way such that you release these chemicals.

Even if you don't do that, they are eventually going to find their way to a dump somewhere. The problem with PCBs is that not only are they nasty, they don't break down, and they bioaccumulate in the food chain. So, these transformers that you are getting for cheap, rather than being disposed of properly are likely going to become an environmental danger. My guess is that anyone who is looking for super bargain transformers is not going to pay the extra money for proper disposal when the time comes that they are dumped. Moreover, a pile of surplus parts is probably more likely to end up in the garbage after sitting around and not really being that useful.

This is the same reason I don't want people to use mercury rectifiers as they eventually become all of our problem.

I lived in a town overrun with PCBs that were dumped by a company that up and left without cleaning it up. Decades later it is still a mess. I trust the people there more than your power industry buddies who have a vested interest in saying they are safe. People will delude themselves until they are the ones dying.

The evidence is overwhelming that PCBs are nasty.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gallbladder-cancer/DS00425/DSECTION=9
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gallbladder-cancer/DS00425/DSECTION=4

And here's one just for you: http://copa.org/med/penis.htm

and a list of more article on how nasty this stuff is:
http://copa.org/pcbs.html

So, as I say, I don't want them in my house, and I stand by the contention that trusting a 40 year old seal to keep carcinogens out of the environment is foolish. Moreover, trusting them to not leach through skin is also foolish.

My point is there are alot of things that are toxic and yes you don't have to use them.

BUT if they are used in a competent manner they are very safe.

Most of your good transformers are hermetically sealed with solder so it takes quite a bit to get them to leak.

But I do not condone improper disposal of these products. I had a choke that contained pcd of which I paid 100 dollars to have a quart disposed of.

The only reason I opened the choke is to have it beefed up with a larger core for more inductance. But If I wouldn't have needed a few more henrys I would have left it alone.

I just feel the ban of pcd's was a product of the times and unfortunately things were exaggerated by unscrupulous who didn't want to pay to properly dispose of what they had.

Dsavitsk but think about it this way if the products are still being used then that pcb's aren't going in the ground.

I don't know I could be nutts but I think if they are being used they are safer for the environment then trusting someone to dispose of them who could just as well take your money and throw them in the trash can.

And if your not comfortable with these thing then by GEOGRE DON'T USE THEM.

Nick

Nick

nhuwar said:
But I do not condone improper disposal of these products. I had a choke that contained pcd of which I paid 100 dollars to have a quart disposed of.

I think that's great, but I doubt many others would bother. Think of all the posts about how some old ham has passed away and his family brought in a dumpster to dispose of the barn full of electronics. If one is now, with knowledge, buying surplus parts filled with nasty chemicals, it is the buyer's responsibility to arrange for disposal before they are unable to do so. Seems like more work than it's worth to me.

nhuwar said:
Dsavitsk but think about it this way if the products are still being used then that pcb's aren't going in the ground.

I don't know I could be nutts but I think if they are being used they are safer for the environment then trusting someone to dispose of them who could just as well take your money and throw them in the trash can.

This is likely more true than we would like to admit. Apparently, lots of "recycled" materials are simply dumped in the third world where people dig through it for scrap. It is a horrendous practice.

nhuwar said:
My point is there are alot of things that are toxic and yes you don't have to use them.

And I guess my point is that there are externalities. You may be willing to take the risk, but by doing so you also endanger those around you who have not agreed to take it with you.

I am not so naive as to think that one PCB filled transformer is going to be that big of an issue in the grand scheme of things, but in the aggregate, it is symbolic of a way of thinking that can be dangerous. We like to blame the lawyers in this country for all of the litigation that goes on, but maybe a willingness to gamble with each other's lives is also, at least in part, to blame.

ak_47_boy said:
I must add that capacitors containing PCB's could be scary. I don't believe PCB's are necessarily dangerous but if a PCB oil capacitor blew... major problem

I would personally not use PCB caps -- especially not in a power supply, where a failure could be explosive. For an oil-filled transformer, if it was in NOS condition and showed no signs of leakage or damage, I *would* be willing to use it (especially if I didn't pay much for it). But I would also be prepared to pay for proper ($) disposal if it ever left a puddle in my amp chassis. :dead:

Ditto.

Caps, no.

Transformers, yes.

If I followed all the advice Big Brother gave me, I wouldn't eat my prime rib rare, either. Nor would I cook my steak over charcoal. I'll accept the risk, thank you very much.

But PLEASE do dispose of PBC's properly. The price for incineration in a proper facility is actually not that much money these days. Be responsible.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.