What to do with all these drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, I'm one of these guys that cruises Goodwill etc. for vintage gear to fix up and usually just hoard, maybe give away or sell once I get it cleaned up and tested. I ran across a pile of nos Radio Shack drivers and bought the lot, kinda cheap but maybe not so much if they're junk. I understand the dipole tweeters have a bit of a following. I'm wondering how these might be best combined to assemble a few pair of DIY speakers. What would you's do? Please take a look and comment. Sorry about the picture orientation, try not to strain your neck. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0695 (2).JPG
    IMG_0695 (2).JPG
    967.7 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Sell the Lineaums, they have a following that should push the price of the NOS units up.

The little bass driver is a nice unit… mate 4 of them with one of the tweeters in a 2.5 way MTM (i have a set of the horns unused in a box, the one at the front looks like a Philips, the other i don't know).

You can build a single sub with that woofer, leaving you with an orphan woofer (or are there 2?) and 2 pr of tweeter.

dave

Thanks folks! Just the sort of feedback I was looking for. I have 7 of the Linaeums, the rest is pretty clear. I was hoping those 4"rs were decent - I do know RS speakers, especially perhaps stock from the late '70's, aren't the best by any means. Nonetheless, they are a source of drivers to play with and practice my woodworking and xover building skills. I was considering an MTM, a TL, and perhaps a sat/sub. When/if I get anything squawking I will be sure to share.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.