What to build with these old JBL woofers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got a line on several JBL 15" woofers and some 8" and 10". The smaller woofer are in cabinets so I do not know the model numbers. I've never built anything with JBL drivers. Nor have I ever owned any JBL speakers. I realize these are PA/instrument speakers. Just wondering what I can do with them....of course other than using them for instrument speakers! :p

I know there are 2 D130F and at least 3 2220H woofers. Any recommendations would be most appreciated.

Whatcha think a fair price to offer on the 5 woofers I know the models of is? Also the seller would have to remove the smaller drivers from their cabinets to get the model numbers. He wants to know if I'm gonna buy first before he goes to the trouble of removing the other drivers.

Actually they are closer to you than me probably! lol

are they all working/good? condition is everything.
as long as the seller isn't going to give the "there vintage" spiel and bucking for more money i'd offer him between 125-200 per driver for the 15's but without knowing what the other drivers are how can anyone make a fair offer?

p.s. where deh at?

Shipping to me here in Georgia is a large factor as well in pricing. I'd imagine that'd be pretty expensive. The 15" drivers are in excellent shape. The guy that owns them is a family friend, elderly gentleman. That played in bands for years. They are not listed anywhere for sale btw. :D

I got a line on several JBL 15" woofers and some 8" and 10". The smaller woofer are in cabinets so I do not know the model numbers. I've never built anything with JBL drivers. Nor have I ever owned any JBL speakers. I realize these are PA/instrument speakers. Just wondering what I can do with them....of course other than using them for instrument speakers! :p

I know there are 2 D130F and at least 3 2220H woofers. Any recommendations would be most appreciated.

Depends. Do you have a huge room, or are you going to be that guy that puts giant speakers into his listening room so the room looks tiny? :)

If the former, Madisound has these Fostex D1405 compression drivers for $399, just itching for a nice horn and woofer to go with them.

If the latter, sell them, build something that fits your lifestyle, not the parts you have.

Best,

Erik

Last edited:
Whatcha think a fair price to offer on the 5 woofers I know the models of is? Also the seller would have to remove the smaller drivers from their cabinets to get the model numbers. He wants to know if I'm gonna buy first before he goes to the trouble of removing the other drivers.

Actually they are closer to you than me probably! lol

If you or him know the cabinet models the spec of drivers can usualy be found on line.;)

If he cant be ar5ed to undo some screws then he probably is not intrested on selling, be cautious its a two way thing

atb

edited for you now state a family friend

keep trying till you find out what they are

Last edited:
I really really do not need another pair of speakers. I have several pairs of vintage Polk's...Monitor, SDA's and Infinity RSIIIa's and some other largish speakers. BUT...I'm always looking ya know? lol

My listening room is around 16x30 with vaulted ceilings. Never had any WAF issues. So I'm good there. I think. The owner is not in a hurry to sell them drivers. He'd had just mentioned he had these drivers and had no use for them. He's like 72 years old. An old friend of my father in laws. And from the way he talks he made the cabinets for the smaller drivers years ago. He was/is quite the woodworker. Has been building his own guitars for many years.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.