What to build with 2x22V 160VA tranny and Heatsink

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got a Plitron 160VA 2x22V secondary transformer lying around, plus ONE heatsink measuring 10" wide by 4.75" high with fin depth of 1 5/8" on a 5/16" thick base, 22 fins total. I'd like to try a small 2 channel class A amp, is there anything I can do with these two parts that is worth it? My new speakers will be pretty efficient, around 90dB 4ohm load. This is just for fun, and to get a taste of a Pass style amp, I don't want to spend a lot of money on it though. Maybe a Mini-A? I lost track of what was happening with that one.

Thanks,
RonS

Audiofreak, So the VA rating is too low for a class A amp using these rail voltages? (by the way, I estimate around 29VDC) This tranny actually came out of a preamp that I had done years ago, based on Corey Greenbergs buffered preamp.

Variac, I had thought of a gainclone, I actually have 7 LM3886's lying around, had also thought of a paralleled bridged configuration for 200W but the tranny is too small. Would this tranny be fine for a pair of gainclones using the 3886? I guess my overall power would be lower than full potential.

RonS

Loaded voltage will be about +/-25V i suspect which leaves +/-20V swing assuming you use LM3886's. Now, the transformer is good for about 4.5Amps rms output which equates to 50W max rms per channel into 4ohms or about 40W rms average into 4ohms assuming a normal stereo musical signal. This drops to 20W rms per channel into 4ohms if the input signal is mono.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
How about a nice pair of Zen channels? You should be
able to put two 10 watt originals on that sink, or better
yet, a pair of 10 watt channels with the Zen Variations 2
circuit and a little value adjustment.

One secondary per channel, isolated as with the Zen Lite.

Hi Nelson,

Wow, an answer from the man himself, and to my first ever question on this forum!

I'm interested in the Zen variation 2, but I cringe at the thought of that big ol cap on the output :( My source is single ended, so I can't do anything there. Any other thoughts?

Cheers,
RonS

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I don't cringe at the thought of a big ol cap at all.

First, they aren't nearly as bad as the transformers that
tube amp lovers have to put up with.

Second, we enclose it in the feedback loop, so that its
effects are reduced by the feedback factor.

Third, you can always use the best caps you can find
in parallel, big ones and small ones.

Fourth, you can bridge two Zens and DC couple the speaker
anyway.

Fifth, only battery driven amps can claim no capacitors
in the signal path ;)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Variac said:
I was gonna say a gainclone, but noticed we are in the Pass area,
http://home.attbi.com/~greggbaker/invertedLM3875.gif
Edit- I think it is too small for your chips, but it might sqeak by for a 25w/ ch
Wot's Planet 10 say?, ask him

The rails are a bit high for 25W, and for a top notch gainclone 2 trafos this size would be specified, but it will work just fine... there are lots of guys out there using less.

If you did a choke input for a Class A amp that would bring the DC rails in under 20V, might make it more useful.

dave

Nelson

Okay, I see that the large caps are in the feedback loop. I cringe at an electrolytic in the signal path, but what the hay, lets try it ;)

or better
yet, a pair of 10 watt channels with the Zen Variations 2
circuit and a little value adjustment.

Can you give me some direction with this? As I mentioned, the tranny is a 160VA with two secondaries of 22 volts each, only single primary at 117V. I'd like to do 2 channels on the single heatsink. I saw how to do the power supply on the Zen Lite, no problem there.

Thanks!

RonS

Tranducer,

You could build a Class AB amp of up to 60W, but for best imaging you do need two of those 22-0-22Vac transformers. I sell a kitset amp of 55W which is powered from 36V rails; your 22V trafo would give you 31V rails which would be fine for an AKSA.

Of course, you need to make a choice between Class A and Class AB; there are severe thermal issues with Class A, and while Nelson's designs sound very good, there are also good Class AB amps around, including the gainclone. However, I tend to avoid chip amps because there is little flexibility of design.......:(

Cheers,

Hugh

www.aksaonline.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.