• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What the heck is this load?

Do you have a source for this? Or an example of this tube being used like that?

Why would Tung-Sol develop a tube for 800 Ohm loudspeakers which were only made by Philips and (as far as I know) were hardly solded/used in the USA?

Besides that: The power output is only 40 mW (see post #9 and/or the datasheet)
The speaker was sold with a different brand and model number also in USA but dont remember the name

The loudspeakers of Philips were sold in the USA under the Norelco brand. As far as I know only few of them would have been 800 Ohm types.

But this does not (dis)prove if the 12AL8 was (also) intended to drive 800 Ohm speakers. For me I am pretty sure that the 12AL8 was not designed with that in mind. I never saw an example of a 12AL8 driving an 800 Ohm speaker.

Last edited:
equipment in which the 12AL8 was used: 12AL8, Tube 12AL8; Rohre 12AL8 ID3809, Triode-TetrodeIn all three the 12AL8 is not being used for audio but as a relay driver.
Looking at some of the rest of the schematics I get the impression that the 12AL8 is being used as a relay driver there too
Didn´t go though all the registering process but the ´63 Corvette schematic bit is enough for me:
In a fully transistorized radio, the 12AL8 is used as "trigger" , guess it activates a Relay and something changes (Mute? - Turn hungry Class A power transistor ON?)

delco_985396_corvette_176545.png

As mentioned above, it´s triggered straight from the AM (tuned signal) detector.

A ´63 Vacuum Tube Fet? :p

Engineers tend to do wild things .... if they solve a problem :cool:

To Cagomat:

The discussion is not about whether or not 800 Ohm loudspeakers exist. They do exist ofcourse (I have 24 of them, including some 9710AM's, and I own a Philips AG9015 amplifier that is mentioned in the topic you linked to. My internetsite is called OTL800 for a reason).

In post #19 you stated that the circuit with the 12AL8 (post #1) was used for the 800 Ohm version of the Philips 9710. I asked you for a source or an example.

Didn´t go though all the registering process but the ´63 Corvette schematic bit is enough for me:
In a fully transistorized radio, the 12AL8 is used as "trigger" , guess it activates a Relay and something changes (Mute? - Turn hungry Class A power transistor ON?)

As mentioned above, it´s triggered straight from the AM (tuned signal) detector.

A ´63 Vacuum Tube Fet? :p

Engineers tend to do wild things .... if they solve a problem :cool:

I think you are right. It seems to be a muting-function (silent tuning?).