What the heck is "hybrid SACD"???

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
The owner of the very last existing then 250k costing Ferrari Dino (known for extreme rusting) with 2000 sunny sundays only kilometers also states the Dino to be a very good car. Anyway the situations with low to mid class SACD players (in their heydays) I have seen were decisive not to start with SACD. Not too negative but I would not recommend it as even budget class CD players outlived many SACD players.

Statistics....but todays stuff may be better.

Last edited:
My partner and I have a Pioneer DV-575A SACD, CD, DVD-Video and DVD-Audio player. She wanted a DVD-Video player and I preferred one that could also play DVD-Audio and SACD.

Shortly after we bought it, SACDs and DVD-Audios were largely taken out of production and BluRay was introduced. We never bought a BluRay player. Well, the Pioneer still plays CDs and the three SACDs and two DVD-Audios that we have.

Last edited:
OK boomer :D

I may the only Gen X on Earth to listen exclusively to CD. I started with vinyl, but when CD came along in 1982 (see Wikipedia entry below), I didn't have a whole lot of vinyl then, and for a teen, CD was so much more convenient that I became an early adopter (very early) of CD. In fact, there weren't many CDs to choose from in November 1984 when I bought my first CD player, a first or second generation Technics model. Good Lord CDs and players were expensive then. There were only two CD manufacturing plants on the planet then, and the local record shop only carried a few dozen titles on CD.

Wikipedia: The compact disc (CD) is a digital optical disc data storage format that was co-developed by Philips and Sony to store and play digital audio recordings. In August 1982, the first compact disc was manufactured. It was then released in October 1982 in Japan and branded as Digital Audio Compact Disc. It was released on March 2, 1983 in North America and Europe.

I think my fist CD player was this one in 1984:

1687759897561.png

It had a clear prism on the front above the drawer so you could see the disc spinning.

I quickly figured out how to install a Sony D50 Discman in my car when it came out in late 1984/early 1985, wiring it directly to a very powerful amplifier mounted in the trunk. It took a lot of work to get the alternator whine out of that system, but it worked. The Discman rode on the passenger side floor on a fluffy towel to help prevent skipping due to bumps and vibration.

1687759228050.png

As embarassed as I am to say it, my first CD purchase was Madonna's Like a Virgin album in November 1984 when I got my first CD player. I still have that disc, and although it is badly worn and scratched after almost 40 years, I just can't bring myself to replace it. My second purchase was Switched on Bach which always has been a favorite of mine.

At that time, I became an "audiophile" I suppose, although limited by the often poor quality of digital recording and mastering back then. Formats come and go. I remember when SACD came along, and I thought it had gone away completely until just a few days ago when this "hybrid SACD" nonsense popped up as my only purchase option. I think not. LP and CD seem to be permanent fixtures. Over time, CD has improved, and I'm ok with it now. I can't see either CD or LP going away anytime soon. Then along came ultra-compressed MP3 and earbuds ... sigh. After 40 years of collecting CDs, I'm not about to give it up, and my preference still is to have a CD in a jewel box in my bookcase. I started digitizing some of them a few years ago, and then I realized that it just wasn't worth the effort to me. I just put the disc the CD in the player and hit play like I have for 40 years.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Here CD (as a market) already largely has been abandoned. Streaming in its various appearances is number one whether we like that or not. Apparently today not many consumers have the wish to own material or media. When I would have to choose between either I would then also rather choose CD be it used or new.

Last edited:
A significant numbre of the SACD titles are available in high res. I have superseded a number of them with high res downloads from HDTracks, etc. There was a time where you could do it with a PS2 with a specific early FW version and some special software on a linux box. Some Sony laptop drives in the past would play them, but back up was not part of the deal. More trouble than it is worth IMO.

https://gist.github.com/willsthompson/a4ececdee9cbc4e369eb923e136a8243

Things have changed - can be done with any of 30+ compatible players.

Reactions: 1 user
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I quickly figured out how to install a Sony D50 Discman in my car when it came out in late 1984/early 1985
Oh yes (y) I had a MK1 Discman and did that as well. I recall making a 9 volt regulator somewhere down the line for it. I remember the battery pack as well, 6 C cells giving as much as 2.5 hours run time (gulp).

I've got loads of CD's (mainly classical) from charity shops and generally find them in pretty much as new condition.

First CD was Van Morrison (we didn't have much choice back then on day one). You could argue that CD has lasted longer (as a mainstream source) than LP's if you take circa 1950 as when LP's became mainstream.

Reactions: 1 users
I've tried that once many years ago, not so much for skipping but simply to make them non attractive to any dust. It was an experiment with Armor all. What I have done from day one with all my CD's is polish them to within an inch of their life using a multi-surface furniture polish. First thing I do with any new CD. It leaves them super slick and shiny and I've had no issues with any discs dating back to when CD first launched.

Also had zero issues with CDR's although they are stored dark and cool. Lots of problems back in the day with Philips DVD RW's suffering rot. They were a total disaster.
Regarding CD rot, would it be possible to replace the reflective layer with a silver foil sticker? I once repaired a damaged Rush CD which had a scratch at the top like this.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Reflective material can occasionally work on localised damage on pressed discs as it can alter the way the the pickup sees the defect and its consequent attempt to correct. Of course you can not make up for lost data, only fool the tracking and focus correction.

Recordable discs that use a dye based layer probably wouldn't respond in the same way.

Reactions: 1 user
What is the downside to a "hybrid" SACD?
Nothing, really, except they usually cost much more than 44.1 kHz/16 bit CDs. [You might ask why this is...and why people continue to buy them--like myself.]

My Oppo player says that I presently have 164 SACD albums in my ripped DSD collection (all of which I still own the original discs, and are on the shelf). Most of those tracks are multichannel SACD layers. Typically, a multichannel SACD disc consumes 4-8 GB of storage, i.e., it's not very compact. For this reason alone, you might see why few if any online providers handle such large files. But there is a reason for this: by far the best sounding recordings that I have are multichannel DSD files (i.e., all ripped from multichannel SACD discs that I own).

There is a reason for this: it turns out that DSD files cannot be edited by usual "mastering engineers" in the way that they are used to doing so (i.e., compression, limiting, EQ, etc.). This is the reason why they sound so good, in my experience--no "mastering" fiddling around. All the phase fidelity of the original downmix is still there. If you have a setup that essentially has flat phase response and limited nearfield acoustic reflections, you really get to hear the effects of "not editing the tracks".

I have never heard a two-channel CD (PCM) file that can stand up to the sound quality of a multichannel SACD in my setup. Note that I'm not talking about a typical "home theater" array, but rather a hi-fi multichannel setup that was built to play the highest quality multichannel or stereo music recordings available commercially. It can be an "almost live" experience when playing back the best multichannel DSD tracks. No kidding.

I don't do SACD and never will, only CD.
That's too bad. In a way, you can say that I live to listen to multichannel DSD files on the setup. I think your inexperience in this area currently limits your enjoyment of listening to recorded music.

How is it possible that there isn't going to be some sort of degredation as the CD player's laser shines through something that isn't completely transparent?
Look for bit errors in the output stream: there probably aren't any bit errors that aren't correctable via parity correction for the entire disc. In other words, you get an exact clone of what the mastering people put on the discs. The problems and thinking that go with analog transmission of information are not applicable to digital (but you've probably heard that before). The disc itself is there to hold the data files: they aren't part of the hi-fi audio experience when you're only talking the digital domain. At the point where it is converted to analog (i.e., the DACs and downstream analog circuitry), then you can worry about all those analog-only subjects. Many DACs will take DSD-native files and convert directly to analog without any conversions to PCM (the "CD" format).

I have had poor experience with CDs made with dyes over the years.
You have inserted a non sequitur into the conversation. This subject has nothing to do with multichannel SACDs in my experience.

There is one catch to DSD: either you convert directly from DSD to analog at the player's DACs, or you must use HDMI bus that can carry DSD over PCM. This is a legal thing--not a physics thing. If you want to avoid converting to PCM (which in my experience, makes the magic disappear--at that point) before going to the DAC, you must use HDMI enabled by DSD-over-PCM (i.e., NOT PC hardware) to do it. You can rip the DSD tracks from a player to a PC hard drive using the application that StigErik mentioned, but the playback must be over a device that's not a PC. That's the way the originators wanted it, unfortunately. The quicker you can get the DSD files off disc in my experience, the safer it is to preserve the original DSD files for playback without the probability of physical mishaps occurring.

By the way, I've never had an issue with "write-once" digital discs that use aluminized data layers degrading by themselves on the shelf...not one. The problems are usually in handling or the environment that you're storing the discs that destroys discs--like leaving them in automobiles parked outside in hot sun or in musty/nasty/hot/periodically flooding basements, etc.

Chris

Last edited: