What speaker is this? why is it so expensive??!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is anybody able to identify this speaker?
(check out the amps in the background too)

Attachments

• 117-1758_img.jpg
    117-1758_img.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,020
Its the old thiel loudspeakers CS (7 I think.. maybe it was numbered 6 or 9 - anyway), this was in the early 90's and late 80's when they were still using OEM drivers. Now of course they make their own drivers. At the time it was the top of their product line and I think was priced at over 12k retail. Like all Thiels - it uses a very complex 1st order crossover (..I know it doesn't seem like a 1st order should be complex - but trust me, this speaker's crossover is VERY complex).

Geenius said:
Yep, its the Thiel CS-5i. Has very low impedance in the bass due to the 3 8" woofers running parallel. The mid is a Focal, tweeters by the German Company WHD if I'm not mistaken. I must still have the original brochure somewhere.

Ahh, the "5"!

MB Quart.. their midrange dome was all the rage at that time.

In point of fact (having listened to both the "7" and the "5"), the 7 really isn't better than the old 5i (in some respects it sounds better, but in other respects the 5i sounds better).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.