what source selector rotary switch and how to wire it

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
for stereo you need a pole to switch the signal on each channel. A 2pole will do. That is available as a 6way, allowing 6 different inputs to be selected.
If you decide to also switch the ground lead you need 2poles for each channel. A 4pole 3way will allow switching of both signal and ground for three different sources in stereo.

If you go to 5.1 surround you would need a 6pole 2way just to switch between two sources and still only allow signal switching.

You can use relays to connect the signals and to connect the grounds.
A single pole could control the ground and signal relays on as many channels as you need.
That way you could use a 12way switch to control two pole relays for each of 12 different sources for stereo and by simply adding relays you can control as many channels as you need upto 7.1 if preferred.

AndrewT said:
If you decide to also switch the ground lead you need 2poles for each channel. A 4pole 3way will allow switching of both signal and ground for three different sources in stereo.

is it poor design to switch the ground? my gear uses RCA, not balanced XLR.

i know a lot of RF connectors don't even have a solder pin for ground. but RF and AF are different.

I found this thread as a result of a search. I will be doing something similar to the OP - probably using a 2 pole 5 or 6 throw switch.

But - whats the best way to wire in a tape loop? Can I just use the existing 2 poles, run one pair of wires to the preamp and another set to the tape loop jacks?

Fran

Hi,
tape loop was popular for monitoring the off tape recorded quality.
That practice only works with three head recorders that are able to send a recorded signal from the extra head while it is recording with the first head.
Is that what you need?
I think there is a simple version in ESP.
I like the way Audiolab and a few others did it, with dual selectors for input and tape out.

No, sorry not exactly. What I mean is a patch through of the source thats currently selected, but without it passing through the preamp circuit.

God that sounds complicated! What I really need is to select a source. Then pass that through the preamp circuit on to a set of RCA jacks to the power amp. I also want to have another set of RCA jacks that just passes the selected source without it going through the volume pot/circuit etc. I want to feed this on to headphone amp.

I used to - perhaps wrongly - call that a tape loop where you would feed that out to a tape deck....

Fran

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.