What size power supply for TDA7498E based amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Despite thinking i would buy a volt + amp i think i would go for this amp (price power ratio)

AUDIOPHONICS TDA-S50 Amplifier TDA7498E Class D 2x 50W / 8 Ohm

AUDIOPHONICS TDA-S50 Amplifier TDA7498E Class D 2x 50W / 8 Ohm - Audiophonics

I have a 24v 6a power supply but i can get 2 power supplys so the total price would be no more than around 70 euros

ALIENTEK AC/DC Switching Power Adapter 100-240V to 28V 4.3A

FX-AUDIO AC/DC Switching Power Adapter 100-240V AC to 32V 5A DC

What is recommended to buy? Any other suggestions from a european store?

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Without looking at the data sheet I dont know what input voltage you need for your required power, but admittedly I am no pushing my amp with only 24v. However I have very efficient speakers and I dont need lots of volume so 24v suits me fine. I am interested to hear what 36v sounds like though!

I have 8 ohm 85db speakers

In one of the bigger class d threads (ultra compact class d) i have seen some write about using a high voltage power supply gets rid of the excessive brightness (if there is any) compared to a low voltage power supply.

Last edited:
36v power suppler + additional shippping cost is about 35 euro and i think it will be to much for now (58.50 euro for the amp with shipping)

24v should be okay

d1bz9hW.png

current tpa3116 amp with 24volt (it is the tpa3116d2 in the picture shouldn't make a huge difference when i only have a TPA3116)

jvB3OKQ.png

Is it worth buying a 36v 6a power supply,adapter.

It should be around 3 db more power and cleaner when i limited the amp to the power it has with 24v (30 watt max 1% thd)

I tried yesterday to find 36v 6a power supplys, power adapters.

I couldn't find alot only the fx audio they have on audiophonics.fr FX-AUDIO AC/DC Switching Power Adapter 100-240V AC vers 36V 6A DC - Audiophonics

Where do i find 36v power supplys from european stores?

Have you bough the amp yet?

If you have, are you happy with the output?

If you haven't, why not wait and see how it sounds with the 24v PSU you already have?

Here's a Meanwell 36v 6.1A PSU avaialble here in France.

I use a 32v PSU for my TDA7498E amps, which is more than enough for my application.

I have bought the amp, they had a day of friday so they should have sent it today

I have in the big TPA 3116 vs the tripaths over at Audiokarma seen some write about a higher voltage amp would get rid of some of the brighness when using something like a 32-36v power supply,adapter instead of 19v .

I have also see someone write about the TDA7498E starts earlier to distort (not overload) compared to a TPA3116 based amp so having 3 db more power will make it distort at higher volume.

Yatsushiro do you have any link to a 32v or 36v PSU i can get delivered to denmark for a low price?

Mine works well with 24v 6a.

:)

I always try to get something different, not just one with better sound or more power, often i try to get both or instead of a full sized system i get a mini system or something like a very power full pa amp (that was fun with my bassy mission qx2's)

I bi-wire my speakers, even when it might not make a huge difference, i often try to do my hifi a little different than most people.

If i could find one that is not to expensive i know it if i want to buy a 32v or 36v psu, instead of having to search for one the day i want to buy one, i would just buy one and wait for it to arrive.

I would prefer it to be plug and play in a nice casing like a laptop power supply.

The one from fx audio i can find on audiophonics. france but i can't find any alternative like on amazon de or uk, many high powered class d amps comes with a 32 or even 36volt power adapter, supply, where do you buy a replacement if there isn't any on amazon.de, uk where you bought the amp?

From the site of the brand you bought the amp from, it might be from china with extra taxes that might increase the price by almost 50%, often it takes more than a week to get it, even 3 weeks isn't unsually from china if theres free shipping and you can't choose fast delivery.

I feel like im stupid since the only i can find is 2 (fx-audio) from a european store is audiophonic in france, 32 and 36volt. I can't find any alternative form a european store for 30-40 euros with fast delivery.

Im waiting for the amp to arrive today it could be 10 min it could be 2-3 hours.

and what do you experts here think about this budget DIY combo:
TDA7498E board
Tda7498E High Power Digital Power Amplifier Board 2.0 Hifi Stereo 160W X 2 Support Btl220W Dc12V 36V-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on AliExpress

and this el cheapo AD/DC converter
AC Converter 110v 220v to DC 36V MAX 6.5A 100W Regulated Transformer LED Driver power supply charger-in Lighting Transformers from Lights & Lighting on AliExpress

beside speaker terminals and internal wiring, power switch - what is needed?

Just to try to enter into D class in budget way :)
bought FX Audio X6 DAC and FX Tube03 till now - amp missing

Pair of Altec Lansing 95/8 Ohm/ 91dB from 90's ....

and what do you experts here think about this budget DIY combo:
TDA7498E board
Tda7498E High Power Digital Power Amplifier Board 2.0 Hifi Stereo 160W X 2 Support Btl220W Dc12V 36V-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on AliExpress

and this el cheapo AD/DC converter
AC Converter 110v 220v to DC 36V MAX 6.5A 100W Regulated Transformer LED Driver power supply charger-in Lighting Transformers from Lights & Lighting on AliExpress

beside speaker terminals and internal wiring, power switch - what is needed?

Just to try to enter into D class in budget way :)
bought FX Audio X6 DAC and FX Tube03 till now - amp missing

Pair of Altec Lansing 95/8 Ohm/ 91dB from 90's ....

Seems fine. I have both and even the X6 DAC. For some reason my TDA7498E has a habit of stop playing sometimes. I have to look at it one day. Not to worry about. Good budget choice.

Last edited:
Merci FauxFrench ;)

Now i'm in doubts between red and black PCB models - red is even 2$ cheaper :eek:...your red one goes on siesta from time to time?

AC/DC's found on Bgood even cheaper - same models 24V and 36V ....but nice pot knobs for amp are almost pricier than the board gosh...

Bit rusty ex ex live sound engineer here - from 90's hehe - now into totally different job - but always muzak enthusiast. Now my Marantz 2235B needs total restauration after all this years of loyal service - so i'm looking for some modest upgrade.

What about power switch and fuse on the enclosure - smthng special needed or simple one /red light typo).
Read about standby function of the TDA7498E board here - hope some1 will unravel this mystery

You guys here are really experts. Kudos and thanx for all this rich knowledge you share:wave2:

Hi raw2sienna,

I only have one concern about the TDA7498E and that is the size of the chip housing. It is really very tiny and the leads to the chip so small that you seriously risk shorting pins if you try to measure on the pins. Mechanical contact (cooling) with the small cooling pad on top of the chip becomes critical as well. As long as you use it with 6-8 Ohm loads, it is is a very fine chip.
Yes, mine sometimes takes a "siesta". No worrying sound, just no sound anymore for a period of time. I use this board very rarely and the tiny dimensions have until now put me away from doing repair.

Also I have/had some old reputed brand amplifiers from my youth. They bring back memories, but one day I tried one of them for curiosity and got terribly disappointed. Compared to modern, cheap DIY amplifiers, like the TDA7498E, this old amplifier completely lacked transparency and precision in the bass. Now, I just keep a few of them for nostalgic reasons but not for use.

I have the red board from a time I did not see the black board. For 2$ more, I would probably choose the black board today.
The power supply board already has a PCB-type fuse on-board (behind the green AC terminal block). You can add a further fuse at the AC input if you like and choose the value of that further fuse lower than the value of the on-board fuse. Hopefully it is this fuse that blows in case of trouble.

I have never changed my mute/standby circuit and lived with a small "click" at turn-on. Perhaps it is the reason for the occasional siesta's.

Good luck with it!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.