What should be done as part of an "Inspection & Service" for an amplifier?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi SoaDMTGguy,
The two meters you should be looking at are Fluke or Keysight for hand held models. Most other brands are general inexpensive designs that you cannot trust - especially over time. One massive difference is that the input divider in the Fluke and Keysight are monolithic. That means that they are extremely accurate (laser trimmed), stable and track temperature between the elements. In addition, stray capacitance is minimized so that the frequency response is flat to higher frequencies. My hand held meters are spec'd to 100 KHz. A bench meter is extremely accurate and has a host of other advantages. Mine are good to 300 KHz. Since the mid 1980s I have only ever bought HP, Agilent and Keysight. The HP 974A I bought are 0.05% basic accuracy and still in tolerance! My current Keysight equivalent model has an OLED display (I don't recommend it, stay with LCD), and is 0.05% basic DC accuracy to 100 KHz. It does have a number of other really useful features, but I love the older HP 974A meters.

You need a very expensive digital scope to perform well without situations that give you false readings. Analogue scopes are also less noisy. I had to get into the Keysight 3000 series in order to be able to remove the analogue scope from the bench. There is an entire course required to deal with how a digital scope can mislead you with analogue signals. One thing yuo have to come to grips with is that a 100 MHz digital scope is not much good at viewing waveform shape over 20 MHz as a general rule. You need 5 times oversampling to create an accurate picture of a waveform. 4 times might be acceptable - maybe. All of a sudden, a DSO becomes less attractive for viewing signals that are not sinewaves. Looking at a square wave using a DSO at high frequencies are where the worst bandwidth problems crop up. Other issues exist related to how the software works for triggering and other things, and the time of a signal you are blind. An analogue scope does not have these issues, but you still need to understand bandwidth as it relates to the frequencies of some of the waveform features you are trying to view.

For this equipment you are selling, I agree you ought to sell it as-is beyond the fact that it appears to work properly (if it does).

-Chris

To do what our Swiss member said will take let us say 3 hours for a person who has done it before.
That person has a fixed hourly rate.
So compare the price you will get for it, with what you will pay the technician to service / clean it.
Think what you paid, and what it has cost you in parts and labor already.
Then decide if it is worth it to pay $300 or more to a tech to basically clean and inspect it visually, without any parts being replaced.

That amp will fetch how much as a working unit without a guarantee?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well, testing an amplifier should take maybe an hour to check everything tops, depending on the complexity and number of channels. I assumed a stereo amplifier of normal design.

Something like a Marantz 300DC has two separate high current bipolar power supplies, then two separate higher voltage low current bipolar power supplies. A normal design would have a single bipolar supply that powers all sections of both channels. That might possibly involve a lower voltage zener regulated power supply for the diff pair. So complexity varies quite a bit between manufacturers and designs.

My bench is set up to do this work efficiently, and I run through this in order to determine where a fault is if there is one. I always take "as found" measurements both to help troubleshoot an issue, and to prove that the service work may have improved the performance of a piece of equipment. This is critical in the case where I am being paid to improve performance.

I can't charge a customer 3 hours for a straight forward check to prove equipment is working properly unless there are issues. Then it is a repair. One exception is the procedure to set bias current where that does need to be corrected and the procedure does take over an hour. Sometimes an Adcom fits into that category. But we are still talking 1 ~ 1 1/2 hours as a typical range.

-Chris

Chris:
You are in Canada, OP is in California.
You or anybody will charge something. Fine.
The question and risk is if some other part fails, quite likely, and takes out a lot more than expected.
And what happens if somebody shorts the outputs, or does something equally foolish?

Then fixing the responsibility becomes a problem, and if it goes to trial, much more than the actual value of the unit can be awarded in damages.
Long story short, sell it as tested, checking warranty only...it works at my place, and after transit at yours.
End.

Based on what I have seen for used dh-500 in working condition they can go up to $500usd
For the op the best is to be straight up, test it to the best of your ability and state that you are unable to test to the specs but have tested it with speakers and sounds alright, best you can do no guarantees it is used gear and leave it at that. Know one else selling them goes to the lengths to fully characterize the amp unless you are a tech and have the necessary equipment. Getting a tech involved will only eat into your profit

Last edited:
Say he paid $100, and spent another 100 in parts and inward shipping

That is 200, and another 200 in actually taking it to a tech, and getting it back, with the fees included.
That is 400, and to get a reasonable profit, asking would be 500 or so.
Who pays that kind of money for an old Hafler amp?
I am in India, so my knowledge of tech time rates is about zero.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi NareshBrd,
Well, I've been doing this for over 45 years. The equipment is tested when done and the customer accepts it. If I blow something up, that is my responsibility and I fix it at my expense. I have had equipment fail on the bench when testing to confirm performance and it has always been traced back to incorrect or fake parts, or other improper service techniques. I haven't had anything fail on test after I have serviced it, but I have had the other channel fail in the customer's use, but in each case I had warned them in writing there were problems with the other channel that they declined to address.

Yes, you can always have the customer from hell, and I have. No matter what trade or service you provide, there will always be those folks who abuse or attempt to abuse you. All you can do is always be fair, technically correct and have a track record of competent work. This is one reason why I document everything I find and do.

I have had customers abuse equipment after service and cause failure. Many times over the years now. But the way they are tested after the repair work is done catches actual faults before the customer gets it back. I have had to repair a couple again because I couldn't absolutely prove what he did, but what normally happens is that the other channel is the one that goes, and I have even had rectifiers go while the amplifier channel survived.

When I find a person like this, I never, ever deal with them ever again. Their loss.

-Chris

You are experienced.
The OP is a newbie.
He may not be able to judge the weak parts, like you do with your experience, and may end up in a dispute.

Long story short, better to sell as is, without the risk of failure later of a part that worked when you sold it.
These are old amps, and may have reached end of life.
Another issue is if had been repaired by another tech, who used off spec parts.
Then what?

We can warn him, but it is his decision.

I got old amps in working condition because some people threw them out.
All my amps except one are flea market or hand me downs.

The most common ones in old amps are 2N3055 or old STK units.
But here only about 2% have a stereo, it is a luxury.
I have not seen many in scrap, and a lot of stereos came in as private imports.
I think now most companies have shifted to party speakers and so on, a proper house stereo, the kind you put in a wall unit, with separate speakers, hardly sells.
So we do not have much trade in these, sound bars and combination units with FM / CD do sell.
But my city has about 4 million people, and only about 2 repair shops survive, last month one of the old shops, who could find record player parts, closed for good.
Now there is a cell phone repair shop there.

As for litigation, you can appeal a parking offense to the Supreme Court.
Takes 40 years.
So finding the seller responsible is not going to happen, apart from that the law is weak on the point of used equipment, it is roughly buyer inspected and bought it. End.
Actually, the statutes are from British times, and the same section numbers work in what was British Africa!
Indian lawyers are quite at home there...

Quote : "Okay, so in your country just throw old amplifiers out. Don't sell them as it isn't worth the risk. Simple."

Not really, they are not a desired item, no risk legally.
Finding a buyer is a headache, with some versions of on line selling it is a bit easier. I have no idea how disputes are legally settled if the item is shipped far away, and the receiver claims it defective, after buying through olx, eBay or similar.

Some fanatics do buy Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Marantz, JBL,and others. But they sell a few hundred a year, including new and used.

Sony and Philips had assembly plants here, mostly cassette / CD / FM units with matching speakers.
Closed I think, no market for fancy amps, the ones that do sell are generic, and cheap.
Easily fixed, too.
I can get a 20W/Ch/8R amp with FM module for $10, brand new. About a few minutes of your time rate.

We are in a different world, so to speak.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi NareshBrd,
I agree with you that the OP is without experience and guidance. He should therefore sell as-is, and I said that.

I do have an idea what the conditions in your country are like from the people I have met from there. Some Indian technicians have done horrible things that seem to be perfectly acceptable from how they were trained. I'm not going to pass judgement except to say that those things are entirely unacceptable here. They are not the only nationality that tends to be guilty of unacceptable business practices and repair techniques.

We can agree on the fact that untrained people should not attempt to perform those tasks they are not trained to do. That includes being a lawyer or truck driver.

Exactly.

I can get away with some things here, but I do it for myself or family, so there is no exchange of money. And nobody abuses it.
And have to, because the so called technicians do not meet my expectations of quality.

Most of them have a couple of cheap meters, soldering irons and a few hand tools.
Have never ever seen a scope in an independent TV repair shop, signal generators, frequency counters and so on are rare.

That is their level.

Last edited:
I had a "boom box" I wanted to sell, but the power was intermittent on it. So after finding the service manual inline & was able to remove enough of the sides etc to have the thing powered to do some basic voltage tests to check for voltage on the DC side of the PCB & at the main AC side taking great care as live 230v!

Discovered that the AC/DC conversion section (rectifier) wasn't working...replaced with all new as per service manual parts list & as per the components. I also replaced all the main power caps on the amp side & the caps for the LEDs as I was there (LEDs were dimming a bit). Used/operated every function on the device, & sold it as "I have replaced X&Y parts & function checked everything as best as I can...sold as seen".

If the item works fine as far you can tell, then I would only unplug it remove a side, vacuum out the inside for dust & clean the case etc..

The trouble with "tweaking" is that you can create problems when there were none!! I should know having worked on electronics (for myself & friends) in various forms (house wiring, cars, radio controlled cars, computers, appliances, Hi-fi's etc.) for numerous years, even though I have no specific electronic qualifications.

Last edited:
anatech: Thanks again for the advice. You continue to be very helpful and provide guidance and direction.

NareshBrd: At no point have I said or implied that I would be making any warrantees or guarantees about anything. Even if I do work on an amp, inspections, replace parts, etc, I will still sell it "as is", with no warrantee or guarantee about it's functionality. I will describe what I have done in the description, any tests performed, any parts replaced. If the amp fails after the person buys it, that's on them. The worst case scenario is they make a claim with eBay or PayPal and I lose, despite being clear in my description. No lawsuits or "damages". Maybe that happens in India, but not here in the US.

As for profit; I value my time as educational. I do not care if my "hourly rate" ends up being terrible, that's not the point. I am not doing work on stuff with the goal of making a profit, I am doing work with the goal of learning things, and hopefully adding value to the amp for the customer.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi SoaDMTGguy,
Oh boy.

Okay, whenever you do work for someone else you become responsible for a lot of things. No matter what you claim, you owe it to them to do the work exactly right every single time. No short cuts ever, and that includes parts. Ebay is not a valid parts source, just putting it out there.

I know what you are saying, but consider this. No matter your intentions, you are taking work away from trained technicians and a few idiots who shouldn't touch anything. You do have legal exposure and a court doesn't care that you "did the best you could". You can be held liable for damages no matter how far fetched they are.

Working on your own stuff is one thing as long as you don't sell it. Working on stuff to sell puts you in a different position. Working on anything for someone else is yet another level. Don't do it without proper training and equipment.

Best, Chris

Be Wise instead of only Smart.

If the amp fails after the person buys it, that's on them. The worst case scenario is they make a claim with eBay or PayPal and I lose, despite being clear in my description.

A smart man knows how to move out of difficult situations,
A wise man does not have to face difficult situations.

The other Guy who sold me an Broken Modified Audio Research B52 Amp on EBAY long time ago, went to jail for a couple days, because of International fraud. He was picked up by Miami Police, because I made a Charge against him, since then he wasn't found on EBAY anymore.

Not long time ago some Jerk Company from the States Sold a Distortion HP Distortion Analyzer on EBAY, Tested and in working condition. But this wasn't the case.. all what would work on that Analyzer was the Power Switch and also the POWER ON INDICATION LAMP.! I made a Charge to the Crime Investigation that time. So one of that company was called to Police station and given a Warning.!

And it does happen in USA, that the Authorities come after you if you cheat or promise things which aren't that way. Serviced means: Full functional and IN WORKING CONDITION.!
And cheating starts with the Words, Serviced and fully Functional.!
Take my word for it. With cheating I don't mean you, but it can also be the guy who bought or buy that amp from you, if he is a jerk just to get that amp and also money back.. that's why, do not use serviced..

I also dropped / quit my personal PAY PAL Account because they protected a Cheater Company, who charged EXPRESS CHARGES, but the Parcel took 15 Days to arrive, instead of 2 days as they promised.. today that Company is still making deals but after a few friends *I do not have FACEBOOK* giving them some real "good comments on Facebook" came up with at least a few hundred more who where cheated the same way as I was cheated by them.. now it's seldom that I see advertisements from them.

Pay pal still tries to get me to make a new Account.. forget that..

And now to you.. if you sell that amp as Serviced, as is, this don't work..
Sell it as is.. but not serviced. unless you got enough money to invest for a good lawyer when the guy who buys or bought your amp, is one of the though ones..and buying the amp back from them is the least bad what can happen to you. If for learning then KEEP IT.

In one of the last couple Posts of anatech he stated something that if he serviced an amp and it blows then it's his responsibility.
EBAY aren't those who are going to help you, as well a Pay Pal.. forget that dream..
For them you are the golden cow as long as everything goes well, but not if there problems are coming up. may you enter that in your memory and keep it there.. this would be the WISE man's doing.

Greetings, Chris

Last edited:
For the last freaking time, I HAVE NO INTENTION OF MAKING BLANKET CLAIMS I CAN'T REPRESENT!!

if he serviced an amp and it blows then it's his responsibility

Yeah, if he did work for someone and it fails, it's his responsibility. If I have a car, and I change the shocks, and then I sell it to you, I'm not responsible if the shocks break because you bought the car in the condition it was in. The shock service was not "for you".

What if I said this:

* Cleaned out dust
* Applied contact cleaner throughout.
* Lubricated fan
* Replaced RCA input jacks with gold plated
* Replaced assorted chassis screws
* Fixed assorted bent chassis pieces
* Replaced missing chassis bumpers with cork
* Set bias to 350ma for both channels
* Set DC offset for both channels

Amp appears to be stable and functioning properly. Amp is as-stated, and I make no guarantee or warrantee about it's future performance.

-

That is an accurate description of what I have done.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi SoaDMTGguy,
I'm just trying to let you know the limits, that's all. I am trying to be helpful and do not want to see you get into trouble.
As for profit; I value my time as educational. I do not care if my "hourly rate" ends up being terrible, that's not the point. I am not doing work on stuff with the goal of making a profit, I am doing work with the goal of learning things, and hopefully adding value to the amp for the customer.
The above is the troublesome statement.

-Chris