• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What part of DIY do you LOVE?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I'll keep it at this but the hate-thread really needed a counter-balance..

I'll go first (is this a more difficult question?)

- !!when an amp is finished, measures fine from the start and sounds great (with very low hum, please)!!

- first contact with ordered parts, cherishing tubes in stock, hell, even transformers and oil-caps, it's a materialistic thing.... Buying things...

- psudII

- looking for a promising circuit with tubes and parts I already have

- Increasing knowledge and know-how

- The 'artistic', visual aspect of creating an amp

- Tube-rolling

- Deeper appreciation of music through better sound (sounds corny but you know what I mean)

- The struggle, the road behind me and the road ahead.

Bed-time

Simon

Making an adjustment ...... and then ....... listening and listening and then ........ forgetting ...... and loving ........ and drifting ..... and awaking on the sofa at 3am because you just couldn't move yourself.

Good music & HiFi is truly like dreaming wide awake :)

- thinking and dreaming about the idea

- mediating and sketching diagrams on whatever is handy

- lashing up a test chassis to try it

- being stunned that it works and sounds OK too!

- continuing listening and tweaking, or simply enjoying it with a good glass of red wine...

Making oddball amplifier circuits that many people think are just too ridiculous for words - for example using an LM317 3-terminal voltage regulator as a voltage follower audio power amplifier. And then finding out it works so well you can't work out why everyone doesn't make one. :scratch:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Designing something new with the hope/suspicion that it will do some things better than what preceded it.

The thrill when things work as planned and you hear great sounding music for the first time from your latest project.

The challenge of figuring out what's wrong when the result is not as expected.

Learning something new.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.