What PA active crossover can be recommended for a hi-fi aplication?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For the three amplifiers do you have recommendation from the PA world?
No fan or with a low noise but also with more detail and less distortion for this application will be great.
Thank you!

Which price range are we talking about here? Getting something that matches the XCA can be pricey (ca 119db, for 3 x 2 channels maybe 1200-1400 euros), if you settle for slightly lower power and noise figures (110db) then maybe around 800-900 euros.
If you're skint' get some cheap tpa3250's like the FX-Audio FX502SPRO on ebay, roughly 100db s/n, not huge on power but best value for money under 200 euros.

The img STA 1000D and STA 2000D are the best options in terms of sound quality, very nice Pascal modules. STA 400 uses Hypex modules, and is a step or two below in terms of performance (and price), but still quite good.

I have the STA 2000D, very happy with it.

Edit:
I do hope you have a good source (balanced!), a setup with these parts can be quite revealing. Might I suggest the Topping DX7 Pro?
https://www.amazon.com/Topping-ES90...sr_1_5?keywords=dx7+pro&qid=1571311543&sr=8-5

Last edited:
IN my Bi-Amped system, I use a passive Line Level crossover using small inductors and Polypropelene capacitors driven by a BOSOZ preamp. Rest of system is Doede's DDDAC and Aleph J amps driving good Scan Speak Drivers.

As an experiment, I replaced the Passive Line Level crossovers with the Minidsp. I duplicated the slopes from the passive crossover.

I can see where the minidsp can be helpful in making filter slopes just the way you want them...but the Minidsp made the whole system sound like "car radio"

My suggestion is experiment with filter slopes using a minidsp...then build A passive line level crossover using those slopes. You can build very good sounding passive line level crossover for almost nothing. The Pass BOSOZ pre-amp can drive the crossover, and BOSOZ lets you adjust gain of each channel without changing intrinsic impedence of the passive circuit.

IN my Bi-Amped system, I use a passive Line Level crossover using small inductors and Polypropelene capacitors driven by a BOSOZ preamp. Rest of system is Doede's DDDAC and Aleph J amps driving good Scan Speak Drivers.

As an experiment, I replaced the Passive Line Level crossovers with the Minidsp. I duplicated the slopes from the passive crossover.

I can see where the minidsp can be helpful in making filter slopes just the way you want them...but the Minidsp made the whole system sound like "car radio"

My suggestion is experiment with filter slopes using a minidsp...then build A passive line level crossover using those slopes. You can build very good sounding passive line level crossover for almost nothing. The Pass BOSOZ pre-amp can drive the crossover, and BOSOZ lets you adjust gain of each channel without changing intrinsic impedence of the passive circuit.

"car radio" :) This is what I am afraid. But now it's a bit late for going back. I will try the XCA...

The img STA 1000D and STA 2000D are the best options in terms of sound quality, very nice Pascal modules. STA 400 uses Hypex modules, and is a step or two below in terms of performance (and price), but still quite good.

I have the STA 2000D, very happy with it.

Edit:
I do hope you have a good source (balanced!), a setup with these parts can be quite revealing. Might I suggest the Topping DX7 Pro?
Amazon.com: Topping DX7 Pro ES9038Pro DAC Bluetooth 5.0 32Bit/768kHz DSD1024 LDAC Hi-Res Decoder Headphone Amplifier (Silver): SHENZHENAUDIO

Thank you! A good source (balanced) is it my only forte until now. But the Topping looks nice for some other project in a different location. Do you think IMG Stageline will be smart on the higher-frequency too?

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Thank you! A good source (balanced) is it my only forte until now. But the Topping looks nice for some other project in a different location. Do you think IMG Stageline will be smart on the higher-frequency too?

The specs of the S-PRO2 modules that the STA-2000D uses are very suitable for high frequency use:
S-PRO2 - Pascal Audio

Where I might use a different amplifier would be for sub bass due to the greater power requirements.

I use EV Dx34A xo and a Rane MA6S amp (6 channel). A 3way setup would require (2) of the xo though. EV Dx38 is 3 way capable. These are older designs,balanced input/output.

Both are dead silent as far as noice through the speakers. The fan on the amp is very quiet.

Gain structure on a system like this needs to be adressed, however. DSP xos like to have input levels such that they saturate its input levels (at the xo). This may require a unit that raises consumer electronic levels to pro input levels. Aphex makes these as do others.

I just run my woofers in parallel for a 4ohm load, if you need more power you can get 2 x 1000w from the STA 2000D instead of 4 * 280w8ohm/500w4ohm. If my memory serves me correct there's a switch on back. I can take a picture when I get home.

But I do not need any more power for my woofers, have not yet managed to the the limiters to light up, even when testing with hearing protection.

Edit:
Added a picture of my den.

Edit2:
In my opinion, not much point in pushing more than 120w maybe +3db on peaks, so lets say 240 watts per driver, over that you start getting less value for your oomph, so to speak. Thermal compression, path of diminishing returns etc.

Attachments

• IMG_20191010_184547.jpg
    IMG_20191010_184547.jpg
    730.9 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Here's a picture of the extra speakons for bridged connection, as well as the impedance switches.

IMO 2kw is just barely on the sane side of regular wall sockets (and fuses), at least over time. Amplifiers that provide more actual power than this (and not silly marketing watts), require properly dimensioned grid connection.

Attachments

• IMG_20191018_195619.jpg
    IMG_20191018_195619.jpg
    724.4 KB · Views: 150
Here's a picture of the extra speakons for bridged connection, as well as the impedance switches.

IMO 2kw is just barely on the sane side of regular wall sockets (and fuses), at least over time. Amplifiers that provide more actual power than this (and not silly marketing watts), require properly dimensioned grid connection.

Spotless point of view! How I like it :)
OK, I'll go for the IMG's with three question for the future: better amps for the subs, better amp fort the high frequencies, better drivers. Fix will be: active crossovers, open baffle, current DAC :)

Last edited:
My choice for an active crossover would be a BSS Soundweb London box, but even used that will set you back $500 at a minimum. Of course, you can do a whole lot more than active crossovers with that.

Some of the big old Crest amps are pretty good. I have no problem with Class D (It's a pretty cool technology), but I think some of the best linear power amps ever made were from the 1990s.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.