What multichannel audio interfaces are ACTUALLY multichannel

Asio or wasapi is no good as apo equaliser utilises the windows audio layer.
With WASAPI here you must mean WASAPI Exclusive Mode as Windows audio has been based on WASAPI (Shared Mode as default) since Vista (DirectSound (IIRC, and MME) are just 'layers' on top of WASAPI).

IIRC, by using Voicemeeter integration you be able to send the final output to ASIO/WASAPI Exclusive/WDM-KS device ... but, that path makes your setup much more complicate and also there were some possible issues at that time I played with EqualizerAPO/Voicemeeter setup (maybe it's improved since then).

My PC is set to go into sleep with 5 mins of inactivity as electricity prices are mental right now.
Same here, I use laptop analog output to Class D TPA 3118 with no volume pot. , as I control volume from laptop. If I forget to mute Class D - Big Bada Boom!
I wish I had software skills to activate a mute relay, before my laptop goes into standby. I also have an old Asus Xonar D2X on my PC with muting relays for each channel, no such problems apart from higher energy cost

I wish I had software skills to activate a mute relay, before my laptop goes into standby.
Does your boom occur at sleep or resume? If at resume, maybe you could convince your USB ports to power off at sleep - then an unmute relay with delayed activation would be simple.

If at sleep and MS Win, most likely this event would have to be handled https://learn.microsoft.com/cs-cz/windows/win32/power/pbt-apmsuspend?redirectedfrom=MSDN - I could not find any ready-made software for that.

Maybe playing with amp status of your ntb soundcard in sleep mode could help too (if such thing is possible on your HW, probably not).

Reactions: 1 user
Does your boom occur at sleep or resume?
Both , when entering sleep mode, resume or wakeup, during windows 10 boot - both during Power ON/OFF cycle or windows reboot, when the device drivers are getting initialized on my Toshiba Satellite Core i5 laptop using onboard Realtek HD audio device.
I manually mute / unmute using a toggle switch
Also if I insert headphones for first time ,I can hear thump noise even when Windows has completely booted up. So maybe some output capacitor discharging, Seen this issue on all the laptops or PC soundcard that I have used

Last edited:
Hi - consider looking at some used RME interfaces. Their Totalmix software enables a ton of flexibility in channel mapping and submixing. Example - I have a couple legacy PCI HDSP 9652 cards which still are supported and sound great. There are a number of external USB interfaces from RME to consider.
Yup, I bought a used RME UFX to primarily to use as a multichannel DAC but it has lots of other useful functionality as well such as ADC, mic preamp that you can use for your calibration mic And lots more besides. Uses AKM DACs.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Uses AKM DACs.

While it may be more due to the rest of the (discrete?) output stage circuitry, my Pioneer LX500 BD player sounds so much better than my Oppo 95. They use AKM and ESS DAC chips, respectively. I really wish that the Merging Hapi, Prism Titan and/or Okto DAC 8 Pro DACs used AKM chips. Can you think of any other 8 channel DACs which do?

Yup, I bought a used RME UFX to primarily to use as a multichannel DAC but it has lots of other useful functionality as well such as ADC, mic preamp that you can use for your calibration mic And lots more besides. Uses AKM DACs.
Another vote for RME. I would opt for the older DIGI or HDSP cards that sit inside a desktop pc. I use an ancient DIGI9652 (26 inputs, 26 outputs) first with windows (2000 probably) and since then with linux.

Although CamillaDSP only supports one input and output device at a time, you can communicate through it via websocket to load another config which can switch your source or destination. I have a shell script that front ends calls to the websocket to do this, and use SSH button app on my phone to call the script (running under Linux).

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Another vote for RME. I would opt for the older DIGI or HDSP cards that sit inside a desktop pc. I use an ancient DIGI9652 (26 inputs, 26 outputs) first with windows (2000 probably) and since then with linux.

I've done the Creative Labs, DIGI, HDSP cards and more... plus the M-Audio Firewire. Ran them as ADAC.

Done the Nuforce HDP, uDAC2, uDAC3, uDAC5... etc... As DAC.

For multichannel DD decoding, in our HT, I set up a USB ASUS Xonar U7 Mk I. It's still being used.

Tried both the Nuforce DDA100 and DDA120 (neat, I still use them ). As Power DACs. In our home offices.

Burson Play, opamp rolling... pure DAC, not using it as preamp. Sounds really good.

I got an RME ADI-2 Pro RS... which is complete overkill for what I need: ADAC... but it sounds really good too.

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Survey: How many here or those here who know of others who 1.) Use MCH DACs for system/room EQ (Audiolense, REW, DIRAC Live), 2.) Main speaker passively crossed, 3.) Have 2 or more powered subs (e.g. Rythmik F12)?

If yes, are main speakers > 89db/w/m and no need for a preamps/line stages between 4 or more DAC outputs and main power amp and subwoofer plate amps to offset any gain loss?

And approximate output voltage of those 4 DAC outputs?