What makes Outdoor speakers different?

the JBL control one speaker has been around for a long time. We sold them at Wall to Wall sound in the eighties. Must be some reason it is still around.
The speakers I have aren't retail speaker I can't find them online.
I think its the upgraded version of this http://www.levitonproducts.com/catalog/model_SGO99-00W.htm
the sensitivity on mine is 1db high, 5watt more power, and my tweeter is 0.75" not 5-inch (but I think thats a type).

Most of the Leviton stuff has the JBL logo on the outside somewhere, only the tweeter has a JBL stamped on it so it might not be made by JBL. I never heard of Leviton.

Leviton provide speakers made by JBL - "Leviton Architectural Edition Powered By JBL".

EDIT: I've just opened your above link. Is that exactly what your speakers look like? Supply a photograph perhaps?

Leviton don't make speakers, but they install them:

https://www.leviton.com/en/products/brands/leviton-speakers

All this is off topic and can be ignored
But Ill reply anyway.

But I looked into this a little out of curiosity Leviton doesnt install things. They manufacture electrical wiring and electical components like surge protectors, wires, light sockets, and electrical meters, the charger doodad for smart cars.

JBL doesn't manufacture their own speakers, so maybe Leviton is manufacturing these speakers and licensing the JBL logo, maybe the drivers are bought from JBL and the encllosure/crossover are made by Leviton (might explain why the crossover and terminals are similar to higher end products, and the enclosure is made from heavy duty aluminum and steel)

I tossed metal skin. this is the only photo I have of them intact ( the white ones on top) To me, it looks exactly like the link. Aside from the Leviton sticker with serial/model# the back had "Spec Grade Sound" which seems to be a non-JBL Leviton exclusive speaker thing. The JBL labeled ones have polypropyline cones, Spec Grade is Kevlar

317326195_1613377359092581_1411535691021168797_n.jpg

In light of the information that you've "tossed" the enclosures, it would appear that what you really want to know is whether the drivers taken from an outdoor speaker can successfully be used in the construction of an indoor speaker.

The answer to that question, in relation to your experimentation with a fledgling home theatre system (as outlined in your previous posts), has to be "yes".

Reactions: 1 user
Here's a glowing report on the "JBL Control 1 Monitors" from 1987: https://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/jbl-control-1-monitors/1527

I was lucky enough to obtain a couple of brand new pairs at a car accessory shop clearance sale several years back for only £19.99 the pair.

My elder son still uses one of the pairs in his home recording set-up. The other pair is used for testing purposes in my workshop.

Some pics, for no particular reason:

top photo is (from L to R) 5.25" Pyle in-wall home theatre speaker, the 5.25" Leviton woofer, and the 5.25" Midrange woofer from a 3-way tower speaker.
bottom photo is the 5.25" Leviton woofer next to a 6.5" JBL Stage (car speaker).
fin.jpg

Total height is 3.75"
The basket seems is denser/stronger than the black painted woofers (brass maybe?)
The dual-Magnets 35-45 ounces (estimating, could be way off)

I know none of this means it's good or bad... but it's massive 5" woofer =P

Last edited:
The 'Leviton' driver has an extra 'bucking magnet' on top. This simply has the function of cancelling the external magnetic field of the main motor magnet so it doesn't interfere with the picture on an old cathode ray tube television set. The bucking magnet is not involved in the operation of the driver and does not make it 'stronger' or 'more powerful'.

The basket will be pressed steel with a protective, custom-coloured finish.

Reactions: 1 user