What makes drums sound like drums?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, when a multi-way speaker does not sum on-axis, placing it outdoors only makes things even worse (no walls will return the off-axis sound to you, that kind of designs are useless). Also, other problems arise outdoors, like uncompensated baffle step, low spatial loads and a tremendous lack of SPL (in a room most of the perceived loudness comes from the sound reflected in the walls while direct sound from the speaker contributes little, outdoors you only have direct sound), but otherwise things sound more like they are supposed to outdoors.

Let's suppose we have a not perfect room, and play some music there. As Eva said, we are going to have multiple reflections, a lot of other artifacts, and as a result our brain is not fooled. That thing doesn't sound like a live drum kit. Ok, so the room is to blame in some way.

But what if we put a drum kit in that very same room? The reflections, modes, and room sins are still there. My question is: would our brain think there is a real drum kit playing? I guess it would, so maybe there are more things than room acoustics to fool our brain.

I've spent a fair bit of time playing electric guitar with drums. There has been a lot of focus so far on the kick drum when in real life it's the quietest part of the kit. If you're going to mic just one drum, thats the one.

I always thought reproduced cymbals sounded the least real. In person they're very loud and very "complicated" sounding, tons of detail and different pitches ringing at once. They seem to lose their pitch and sound more like white noise sometimes in recorded music.

The other thing I learned from band practice is that for me the audiophile goal of perfect reproduction of a drum kit in your living room is completely undesirable. I believe the drums cause more hearing damage than my guitar amp and I don't want to wear ear plugs in my living room.

poptart said:
I've spent a fair bit of time playing electric guitar with drums. There has been a lot of focus so far on the kick drum when in real life it's the quietest part of the kit. If you're going to mic just one drum, thats the one.

I always thought reproduced cymbals sounded the least real. In person they're very loud and very "complicated" sounding, tons of detail and different pitches ringing at once. They seem to lose their pitch and sound more like white noise sometimes in recorded music.

The other thing I learned from band practice is that for me the audiophile goal of perfect reproduction of a drum kit in your living room is completely undesirable. I believe the drums cause more hearing damage than my guitar amp and I don't want to wear ear plugs in my living room.

Good advice. Cimbals are very difficult to reporduce indeed. To get it righ, the driver FR needs to go up to 50K which is quite difficult. Hope we get there some day soon.

Bing Yang said:
I have a pair of ProAC one clone speakers with a self-powered NHT 1259 subwoofer. The ProAC clone is driven by a home made Leach type amplifier.

When I play Eagle's Hotel California, the sound of drums at the beginning of the music is loud but soft. I have heard the same music on a pair of 6.5 inch closed box speakers without subwoofer. I could feel the drum beat on my body from the speakers.

I really like to recreate the impact that I felt with my speakers. Can someone point a direction?

Do I have to change to closed box speakers to get the impact? Or is there something that I can fine tune with my system?

What really will be nice is that someone can explain what makes drums sound like drums from speakers?

Bing

Hi Bing, get a pair of Klipschorns!
www.klipsch.com

:cool:

We cannot build our speakers into drums. :(

Real drums are omnidirectional... I guess if they are recorded in an anechoic environment, they could be let loose in a room with an omnidirectional speaker. OTOH, if they are recorded in a room, maybe they should be reproduced in an anechoic chamber.

Comments? Headphones anyone?

Real drums just have a huge dynamic range. If you recorded a track to capture the reality of drums, everything else would be so quiet that the average person listening on radio / car stereo would not hear much coming out of the speakers at all.

A few years ago I was at a bash that had a pianist/singer with a drummer. The drums were not miked. At about 30' away from the drums I could still feel a nice 'thunk' from the bass drum. It wasn't loud really, but there was a warm feeling coming from the bass drum. I'd guess its pretty low, high spl stuff, the kind you don't hear but feel.

Rob.

Tenson said:
I have not read much of this thread so I apologies if it is not relevant but if you want to get a 'kick in your chest' feeling without doing a lot, have you considered trying a 'bass shaker'? Something like the Eminence buttkicker?

I doubt the shakers could give you the kick in the chest feeling - that comes from high spl midbass. The shakers seem to offer a replacement for the ultra low freq's - the ones that shake your seat. Great for cinema if you don't want big subs in the room.

Rob.

Tenson said:
Well I've never tried them either so I can't say! However, surely 130Hz needs less power than 40Hz to reproduce at equivalent SPL. ..unless the device has a reverse efficiency to a normal speaker?

Be careful with these assumptions, a typical 15m^2 room produces far more gain at 40Hz than at 130Hz in most listening positions, as gain increases at 12dB/oct for lower frequencies. Also, notches are likely to happen above 80Hz, so it's quite easy to end up with a lack of SPL in the 80Hz to 400Hz range when you just place two direct radiating speakers in such a room (unles you listen at 20cm from the woofer).

I think that room gain is a good thing as it improves LF efficiency without causing much trouble, all what is required is some equalization if too much SPL imbalance results (I know that audiophiles hate equalizing, but that's because they enjoy uncompensated acoustic aberrations).

There are other much worse room phenomena, like standing waves and big notches due to strong wall reflections, that prevent any chance from faithful reproduction (it's not a matter of going in favour or aginst some "spirit", it's just a measurable fact).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.