What is wrong with op-amps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
On the semis, kinda off-topic- Not to start a new discussion , just my thoughts.

I've read the 1950 "Electrons and Holes" book over and over, just can't get past the theory that holes travel at a different speed vs electrons. Schokley had some difficulty too as seen in the preface.

-bruce

You could try reading here and see if you like it better, starting on page 12: https://people.eecs.berkeley.edu/~hu/Chenming-Hu_ch1.pdf

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Measure and model some FETs of both genders. MOSFETs will show you the difference between electrons and holes in surface mobility; JFETs will show you the difference between electrons and holes in bulk mobility. Once you've seen this with your own eyes and measured it with your own hands, it becomes less counterintuitive.

One way to think of this is that electrons are pretty much free to move in the semiconductor but holes move by electrons slotting into valence band sites, which are "stickier". As a matter of fact electrons don't move at the same speed all the time either, it depends on the doping levels, electric fields etc etc.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Any links or suggestions for the items in Ian's article?
Thanks

Hi Bruce
The link at page 10 of the supplement you quote refers to a post from Juergen Knoop.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/lounge/146693-john-curls-blowtorch-preamplifier-part-ii-250.html#2491
As there is no further info –author’s name or Thesis title – your only hope is to PM Juergen if he remembers anything about it as the post is from 7 years ago.
Have you contacted Ian Hegglun for info?

George

So have sent Ian Hegglun a message relating to the filter mentioned in his LA8 update.

I'll pass on anything received related to the filter. I prefer calling it the 'golden ear' similar to the 'chicken heart' I once used in hospitals for quick test of biomedical equipment.

One patent became very upset and had to calmed by hospital staff. She thought the small box contained a real chicken heart.

cheers
bruce

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Joined 2014
Paid Member
There are some people, including me, who would take exception with a few of the things Ethan says, especially in the area of cognitive psychology, despite the great self-confidence and air of authority with which he prosecutes his case.

However Poppy has a pretty good CV https://music.stanford.edu/people/poppy-crum . I certainly am not qualified to argue with her.

EDIT: JJ has a pretty good set of credentials too.

Last edited:
However Poppy has a pretty good CV https://music.stanford.edu/people/poppy-crum . I certainly am not qualified to argue with her.

I didn't watch to the end, but I think you are talking about the lady who spoke near the beginning. She described some well known effects I had see before. They have to do with how the brain filters speech out of noise. In the case of song lyrics, it was something that might make some people fearful since it involved supernatural danger. Stuff the brain is exquisitely sensitive to, and the first thing that goes wrong in schizophrenia. By the way, if you read the song lyrics and listen to the words carefully even while reading the words, the words still sound like gibberish. It just takes focusing on the what is heard more that what is read. Those are exceptional examples. That doesn't mean the same trick would with work with hearing a distorted cymbal verses an undistorted one.

What if someone said this to you:

A bat and ball cost $1.10.

The bat costs one dollar more than the ball.

How much does the ball cost?

Notice the first answer to comes to mind?

It's wrong. Does that mean you are a fool for every arithmetic problem?

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Not sure on your point. The crux of the video is that the mind is easily fooled and the eye WILL over ride the ear to make sense of the input. Now if you can bypass that, you have a special skill and should be out there being measured. I assume you agree with that basic premise, which is all I wanted to put out to remind people how dangerous sighted listening is.

Ref the arithmetic problem, there is nothing 'wrong' with doing a successive approximation and starting with the guess of 10c for the ball working back through and realising that a different technique is required. For some that is easier than writing the 2 equations down. Many can solve in their head as they instantly see the factor of 2 that needs accounting for.

What gets me about op-amp debates is it is about as easy as choosing a CD to test one. And yet it causes pages of debate. Even the cheapest DIL sockets cause no obvious trade off in the choosing stage. I often build dead bug circuits. These cause careful choice of design options as did high cost in the distant past of electronics ( care = quality ? ). My bigger doubt is the PCB stage. Op amps makes dead bug almost easy.

On TV today LP sales are the best for 25 years in the UK. Many reasons given. The young are buying them and rejecting the post 2008 world was suggested as a new reason. Wanting to hold, wanting to own. Somehow people at DIY Audio are not very human as they seem to overlook why real people do things. It's about choice. Choosing an op amp is the easiest thing one can ever do. Make sure NE5532 is workable in a design as if not it is something you did that is wrong. You should not use a more friendly op amp to " improve " a design. I seldom use 5532, I always use them in testing and mostly find them OK, bit odd in tonal colour and pinched perhaps. With careful design even that can be made minimal, 5534 more so.

Happy New Year.

Not sure on your point. The crux of the video is that the mind is easily fooled and the eye WILL over ride the ear to make sense of the input. Now if you can bypass that, you have a special skill and should be out there being measured. I assume you agree with that basic premise, which is all I wanted to put out to remind people how dangerous sighted listening is.

Ref the arithmetic problem, there is nothing 'wrong' with doing a successive approximation and starting with the guess of 10c for the ball working back through and realising that a different technique is required. For some that is easier than writing the 2 equations down. Many can solve in their head as they instantly see the factor of 2 that needs accounting for.

The mind is not so easily fooled as the video suggests. The examples given are especially striking and not average. Many quirks of the mind can be overridden by being aware of them and consciously avoiding them. There are also many that are impossible to override. It depends.

Regarding the bat and ball problem, more than half of undergraduates at Harvard get it wrong, as do a larger percentage of more average people. The fact is, the problem is rather unique in how strongly ten cents comes to mind. Some people even have great difficulty understanding the correct answer when it is explained to them. That doesn't mean it fools everybody all the time. Or that most people are fooled by most similar problems most of the time. It is a very unique example and does not generalize to most other cases.

Same with the examples in the video, which were there to impress, not illustrate what happens most often when listening to records backwards and reading words.

Last edited:

But it doesn´t help much, if you don´t remind people at the same time how "dangerous" controlled listening is.

Btw, if you are listening to a typical stereo system you´ll most probably have a perfect example of a situation where the eye WILL NOT override the ear to make sense of the input. (lets drop for the moment that there is a small percentage of people who does not perceive a virtual source in this situation).
Nothing will change that, you can do it "blind" or sighted; even if you know for sure that there is nothing there, you´ll still perceive a virtual source between the two speakers.

Other effects like the famous McGurk are dependent on the individual listening skills or profession (for example musicians are less sensitive), so the basic rule seems to be, that you have to learn to listen and to be aware of several bias mechanism.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.