What is this sub?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There's this sub that Parts Express has/had, http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=299-716 . I like it, it has higher Xmax than most of their other subs, is very sensitive, and it's a whole lot cheaper. I want to use them for my big system, I'd need 32 of them. They don't have any in stalk at this time, I don't know if they're discontinued or what. I can't find out what series it is, if any, and by looking at Eminence's website, this thing just doesn't exist. Is this some sort of covert deal between Eminence and Parts Express?, some discontinued driver?, a cheap imposter sold under the Eminence name? What on earth is this thing?

Thanks.:)

I was planning to build something like LAB horns for them, but I am considering 186 horns too. You may be wondering why I need 18s, it's for power handling, I'm looking to produce sound levels that you wouldn't believe, at high fidelity too, using the most sensitive speakers and 7200W total RMS power. Please read all about it in some of my other threads if you must know instead of asking why here:rolleyes: . I assure you most everything has been considered.

I don't think I'll worry about that sub, I'll probably just get 16 (or maybe 8) Kilomax Pro 15 or 18 inch subs. Note that these will only be used down to 50 or 60Hz, lower than that will be done with something else, maybe ServoDrive subs. Everything will be horn loaded.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Please read all about it in some of my other threads if you must know instead of asking why here

Yup Kilo, I've commented on those threads as well...

You have said on your previous posts that you want to use this rig outdoors - you would need all of that 7.2k in amps to get anything out of a rig below about 50 Hz, without any room reinforcement!

lower than that will be done with something else, maybe ServoDrive subs

I think you will find one servodrive sub will cost about 4 times as much as the rest of your rig put together, and as far as I understand the system, you need to couple 4 per side to get the measured performance. Sorry chuck, it's the laws of physics...

Sorry, Kilo, but if you think you can do better than Tom, who has been designing boxes for the real world for a very long time, then you are either very clever or very foolish.

you would need all of that 7.2k in amps to get anything out of a rig below about 50 Hz, without any room reinforcement!
That's why below 50Hz will be done with separate, very large amps built into the boxes.

And I never said I could design boxes better than anyone, I've never designed a performance box in my life, just a few car sub ones. I'd be foolish to say I could. I'm going to use a ready-designed design, just make it myself.

Anyway, who's Tom, and when did I say I was trying to outdo him? I'm sure I won't get that system optimized for a very long time, but built and running, at least the amps, and optimized are two different things.

P.S. RCF it is! 24mm Xmax, 98dB sensitivity, high power handling and good sound. I'm going to get them if they're not too expensive (which would have to pretty darn expensive I guarantee you!). But where can I get them?

Kilowatt said:
P.S. RCF it is! 24mm Xmax, 98dB sensitivity, high power handling and good sound. I'm going to get them if they're not too expensive (which would have to pretty darn expensive I guarantee you!). But where can I get them?

Of course, that is only the linear Xmax, I've seen these puppies move between one-and-a-half and two inches without taking damage that was with one of them driven at 2700 watt. (Btw, that test lasted for one minute and the beasts didn't take any damage at all).

Where to buy? Well, outside Denmark I have no clue.

I would give my left <insert favorite limb> for such a project ; Man ...

Still onto direct radiators? Well, I am still of the opinion that the LAB would best suit your needs. In real life it will go almost flat to 30 Hz in stacks of four on the ground. 109 dB/2.83V/1m or thereabouts sensitivity and > 1kW continuous (and clean) power handling per box make this deal close on impossible to beat.You can do the math yourself, but it would take vast amounts of pro-sound drivers to even get close. 7 kW will drive a stack of 4 just fine (and the load is more than benevolent). You can (and i am sure you may have already done so) do the math for yourself, but close on 150 dB @ 1m should be about right. Now to get a top to match might proove difficult indeed, but a mid-bass horn might go down to 150-200 Hz.

BTW, the LAB should not be too far off from the performance of the BT-7 at a fraction of the cost and you might just as well use the extension it offers.

Had a glance at the RCF spec sheet :8 mm (one way) Xmax might be all nice and well, but at the power levels stated you may still come short (especially if you are aiming at low distortion)

What i'd do if i'd have such money:

LAB 30Hz - 150/200 Hz

multiple 8"-10" horn loaded cabinet up to 1k and Monacor 2" Mid horn (albeit pricy!!!) for 900 Hz and up (110dB sens) OR a Mid-bin of your choice
Tweeter of your choice

(Have a look at the Stageboss here, German but none the less: http://www.lautsprechershop.de/pa/bau_boss.htm )

Would be interresting to hear your thoughts on the rest of the system, might proove to be quite a challenge (I'd think more so)

Regards

Martin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.