What is this stuff?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Guys,

As part of my education in electronics, I recently bought a used amp to take apart and see how it ticks (I've tried reading books but without something to dig through with a DMM, the knowledge wasn't sticking).

Anyways, in the attached picture, there is some kind of solid blue thermal compound holding an IC to a heatsink. By solid, I mean really hard; hard enough to resist scoring by my thumbnail and it's properly bonded to the heatsink.

Does anyone know what this stuff is (brand name too?) and how to safely remove it from the IC?

Cheers,
Dave.

Note: Due to the limited gamut of sRGB, the blue has come out a little wierd; the actually blue colour is actually a little lighter than pictured. I also realize that a question like "what is this blue stuff" is probably a shot in the dark but google hasn't given me any real contenders so....

Attachments

• blue goop.jpg
    blue goop.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Thanks guys. I was assuming that it was thermal compound because it's mounted to the heatsink and was thinking along the lines of it being a temp sensor as well. Would regular epoxy glue really be a sufficient heat transfer medium for this kind of application?

If so, I'll go through a few brands to see if I can find one whose color matches.

@OS - re: acetone, thanks! :)

Note: I noticed some scoring on the heatsink just under the 'epoxy', presumably to help it hold so I think you're right, it's probably just epoxy. I'm just worried about the specific properties of it.

I want to be able to remount this thing when i'm done fiddling with the PCB so I want to make sure that I don't cook it (or change the sound) by putting the wrong stuff on there. :)

Thanks for the idea of buying amp to take apart. I go to local swap meets all the time, and find good deals. Got a yamaha HTR5540 for 30 bucks. I have seen old tube amps, SS amps, recievers, THX elite pioneer stuff.
Did you buy a working, good amp, or bad one?
Thanks.. Todd

You're welcome. IMHO, the second best way to learn is to do (the best way to learn is to teach).

As for the amp, I bought it working. I didn't want to faff about with a dead amp. If this amp dies, it's going to be my own damed fault.. and then I'll learn even more by fixing it...

Just please.. god...don't let me take out the SMDs with an ESD.... There's only so much that I want to learn right now.. and soldering SMDs is a skill that I've planned for mid next year. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.