What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the idea is time is in one direction and exists because of entropy.
The whole point would be that if time was an illusion what does it say about life? (surly the two are linked) can you have life without time?
(Past present future)

Regards
M. Gregg

The problem with the theory of Time is an Illusion is that we are stuck in it.
We cannot escape it. ...Before, during, and after.
Time is not an illusion, it's destiny. ...Time is reality, it is part of the universe.

The entropy in my head did increase over that period, so that could be an explanation...

But a relation between time and entropy? If you'd suggested a relation between energy and entropy I guess I could agree.

I perceive time as one-directional, but that could well be because of the image of reality that is presented to me.

Now, 'perception', that, is an illusion. ...Disillusion? ;)

In the Utube video,

It says that the Arrow of time (Direction) was set at the moment of the big bang. The idea seems to be that everything is moving away from the big bang and time is a result of this linked to the entropy within the universe.

Ie time is a series of moments during the expansion of the universe.

Would this mean no big bang, no expansion, no time?
Ie time (now) is a construct like past and future.

I might have to watch it again to make sure I have the right Idea..:D

Regards
M. Gregg

The theory of the Big Bang: If it happened, in space, in time; then before it there was.

Way above/beyond us, time has no beginning and neither an end. Therefore time is expandable.
Furthermore time is infinite and without it there is no universe. Relativity simply wouldn't even exist.

A biology student once told me that time is a sequence of 'moments'. As a student engineer (at the time) I argued: no, time is a continuous variable. He gave the example of a 'tick' that could wait for up to 30 years, until it detected heat from a warm-blooded animal, before 'activating' and jumping on-board!
Now I am 60+, I think he was right: our perception of time is a series of 'moments'. The young perceive (say) 4 moments per second and as you get older the rate drops to (say) 2 moments per second. Consequently it feels like time is going faster!

A biology student once told me that time is a sequence of 'moments'. As a student engineer (at the time) I argued: no, time is a continuous variable. He gave the example of a 'tick' that could wait for up to 30 years, until it detected heat from a warm-blooded animal, before 'activating' and jumping on-board!
Now I am 60+, I think he was right: our perception of time is a series of 'moments'. The young perceive (say) 4 moments per second and as you get older the rate drops to (say) 2 moments per second. Consequently it feels like time is going faster!

Yes, only an analog computer can continuously process information. Since our brains are known to be "digital" we can only perceive discreet instants.
The most recent figure I've heard is about 40 per second.

A stone dead ice cube can observe, that's all quantum
mechanics needs. But if it were a reasoning ice cube,
it might also become curious about those observations.

But entropy ultimately sais the battery can't last forever.
Even if it managed to record its thoughts and conclusions,
there'd eventually be no other cube with a viable battery
to read them.

Quantum mechanics doesn't give a flaming bag on our
doorstep about reason, curiosity, awareness, or life.
Observation doesn't require understanding.

Time moved forward before there existed complete atoms.
Before chemicals to assemble life anywhere to experience it.
It stands to reason that it continue to move that same forward
direction even after passing us by. I don't see how we perceive
time as having anything to do with its a circle, or an arrow, or a
rubber duckie in a big tub of overflowing unbroken clueless.

Last edited:
or was "the big bang" just the "incident" that made our universe visible? Which could also be a rather peaceful change from one dimension to the other..

So before the Big Bang there was nothing? ...Total invisibility, pure white darkness, not a single fly, no universe?

And all it took is a Big Bang to make it all messed up like this?

And how was that Big Bang created? ...By two planets colliding with each other and coming from nowhere?
When did it happen? What went wrong that the universe was created from it?

...The seven questions of the seven oceans of the seven mysteries.

Ignore this..:confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy47OQxUBvw

Its when something catches your interest..even if it conflicts with other things.. :D

Regards
M. Gregg

Yes but they base time on gravity. In space there ain't no gravity. So time varies from one place to another. And that "another" is unknown.
So time is inconsistent. Therefore time is relative. ...To each person's own state of space.
And the heavier or the lighter there is the longer or shorter there was.
Tomorrow who knows what time might bring. ...Shed few pounds here, gain some more there...

Yes, only an analog computer can continuously process information. Since our brains are known to be "digital" we can only perceive discreet instants.
The most recent figure I've heard is about 40 per second.

Interesting; digital/animal DLNA.

So before the Big Bang there was nothing? ...Total invisibility, pure white darkness, not a single fly, no universe?

And all it took is a Big Bang to make it all messed up like this?

And how was that Big Bang created? ...By two planets colliding with each other and coming from nowhere?
When did it happen? What went wrong that the universe was created from it?

...The seven questions of the seven oceans of the seven mysteries.

That is not what I wrote.. before it became visible does not mean it was not in existence....

Status
Not open for further replies.