What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why? Well the Government severely discourages an interest in Homer from 3,000 years ago. Considered the first great Novelist, and lauded by his contemporaries. I have discovered that whilst Homer and Herodutus are stocked by our library, they are stored out of sight in the basement. Away from enquiring minds. It is well known that to cow a population, you must keep them in ignorance. :mad:

I enjoy a ripping yarn, and it doesn't come better than The Iliad and The Odyssey! When the Gods walked amongst us! :cool:

The Iliad is a great read, possibly the oldest story on earth, but not those awful old english translations that should stay buried in the library cellar. The original stories were likely an oral tradition and to make them easier to remember were written in poetic verse. You could fill in missing words with whatever sounded right and verses could be added and deleted as the Orator wandered between villages looking for paying customers. Without a good translation the poetic hexameter is completely lost.

The best translation I have ever read of the Iliad is by Robert Fagles and is remarkable in how much better it is over those old versions. He also did a translation of the Odyssey.

Attachments

• A1ywhQlhZnL.jpg
    A1ywhQlhZnL.jpg
    990.8 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I like the way that "liquified natural gas" sits bang slap in the middle of that graph!

You can see why Hydrogen is of interest in the aviation industry- energy density per unit volumeis quite low, but it wins on energy per unit mass. I guess the Saturn rocket exploited that (2700 tons fully fueled on the launch pad IIRC). Wonder how much heavier it would have been with Jet fuel?

no it's not gasoline at all, it's a more like paraffin.

I have an old camping stove that runs on the stuff. it's quite oily. It's less flammable than gasoline, heavier molecules and all that. In my camping stove the liquid is passed through the flame to pre-heat it and evaporate it before it's burned.

Last edited:
I was quite interested in the idea of time having two dimensions. It's hard to grasp, but the idea of linear Space and Time is easy enough. Spinning Space and TIme makes extra dimensions in a way. So the second time dimension might be time spin to my feeble brain.

Which is why I was thinking about spinning Black Holes;

992191d1634915842-universe-expanding-future-spin-jpg

If you put a spin on a ball and drop it onto the floor, it tends to scud off along the floor, so angular momentum unravels into linear momentum,,,

Charlotte Higgins recommends Fagles too. And Phillip Pullman is some sort of well-known Greek scholar.

989852d1634056413-universe-expanding-greek-jpg

Embarrassingly, I have been spending more time on my latest James Lee Burke Murder mystery.

991144d1634536975-complete-furtwangler-55-discs-private-cathedral-james-lee-burke-jpg

no it's not gasoline at all, it's a more like paraffin.

I have an old camping stove that runs on the stuff. it's quite oily. It's less flammable than gasoline, heavier molecules and all that. In my camping stove the liquid is passed through the flame to pre-heat it and evaporate it before it's burned.
Yes, about kerosene, I was wrong....from a friend I supposed knowledgeable about airplanes.
I used a stove presumably of this kind, in Canada. A terrible contraption, I never used again.

My stove is a collectors item now (it's a British one, probably of the worse kind!) :D

Once they are up and running you have to pump them up to pressurize the liquid container. If you accidentally tilt the stove over, the liquid isn't vapourized fully and reaches the flame part to create several feet of flame thrower !

In Canada we embrace the cold, pouring maple syrup onto the ice to make candy.

Last edited:
Yes, jet fuel is based on kerosene while fuel for propellor powered aircraft is based on gasoline.

An interesting thing I found when checking that out is that the gas for the prop planes still contains the lead that has long been banned from use in cars.

Without the anti-knock additive there could be fuel detonation problems, which you don't want to occur when you're high up in the sky!

The industry is currently working on how to eliminate lead from the fuel.

991144d1634536975-complete-furtwangler-55-discs-private-cathedral-james-lee-burke-jpg

It's funny as anything.

Dave Robicheaux is explaining to his lifetime buddy Clete about the trouble he is in. He is worried that Clete will try to solve it with his usual two fists and a blackjack;

"Clete, they didn't brace me" says Dave.

"Call it what you want. The lowlifes aren't allowed to disrespect the Bobbsey Twins from Homicide. I'll show restraint. I'm completely copacetic and mellow these days, and think only about serene subjects. It's part of a Yogi program I'm in."

Clete then puts the two hoodlums in Intensive care, getting stabbed in the arm himself. Next time Dave sees him, Clete's arm is in a sling. :D

I frequently amaze even myself with my ideas! :D

Whatever was I thinking of in my 90 degree Butterworth loudspeaker?

599576d1487227785-hegeman-crossover-mystery-help-modified-bw3-monitor-audio-r300-md-jpg

Just that I breezed through the filter mathematics and got 90 degrees for the phase difference. So I thought why not turn the tweeter 90 degrees? Must do the same thing. Sounded OK too.

Now I find I was actually experimenting with acoustic Spinning Black Holes! :eek:

See, my speaker was creating Spinning Sound Waves! Think of it as being like a V-Twin motorbike turning spin into linear motion.

What does this all mean?

Black Hole News - How Aliens Could Use Black Holes to Make Energy

Penrose process - Wikipedia

I need more tweeters! I can see that Nobel prize winging my way already. :)

991948d1634829708-lighten-mood-lesy-jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.