What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Using the Event Horizon Telescope (the same telescope used to capture the first-ever image of a black hole in distant galaxy Messier 87) astronomers are currently working toward capturing the first image of the Milky Way’s black hole, Sagittarius A*.

We know there is a supermassive black hole at the centre of our galaxy because we can see stars orbiting around it. For example, star S2, which we discussed earlier in the thread, is on a 16-year elliptical orbit around the black hole. However, we've never seen the black hole directly.

Why, you may ask, can we directly observe the supermassive black hole in the centre of M87 and 55 million light years from Earth, but can't yet directly observe the black hole at the centre of our own Milky Way galaxy and a mere 27,000 light years away?

All is reveaked here: When will we see the Milky Way's black hole? Why 2021 is an exciting year

Attachments

• Black Hole in M87 Galaxy.jpg
    Black Hole in M87 Galaxy.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Orbit of S2.jpg
    Orbit of S2.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 66
"Err, well...let's just build it on the ocean coastline. That way if there is a meltdown we have plenty of cooling capacity"!
Because operational nuclear power plants rely on a cooling system, and water is a great coolant, they must be located along rivers or coasts where the water is plentiful and free.

The attached map shows the locations of nuclear power plants on this side of the pond, and their operational status.

You can click on the individual plants and display their full details in this interactive version of the attached map: European Atlas of the Seas

Attachments

• Nuclear Power Plants.jpg
    Nuclear Power Plants.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 56
Because operational nuclear power plants rely on a cooling system, and water is a great coolant, they must be located along rivers or coasts where the water is plentiful and free.
This is not specific to nuclear plants. Any thermal plant needs cooling whatever fuel is used ( coal, gaz, gazole ) to convert heat into mechanical energy.
The cooling towers that scare so much have nothing nuclear.
The nuclear part of the plant is just the boiler, all the rest is conventional.
The need of water to cool the reactor is another story, dramatic when things go wrong.
In normal operation the cooling of the reactor is from the heat transfer to the steam turbine that runs the alternator.
It is wise to have on hands heavy cooling means in case things go wrong. Not only water but pumps and generators to run them when you are out of the grid. All that, better not be swamped by a tsunami.

I do not understand the map. It does not show nuclear plants inland on large rivers: Loire, Rhone, Seine.

Last edited:
I have investigated Albert Snepppen's fine paper on Black Holes.

Danish student solves decades long mystery regarding light and black holes

It was originally in Danish, but close enough to Norwegian for me to follow. The real curiosity was how anyone can have 3p's in their name. It was a misprint: which may haunt him when his Nobel Prize is engraved.

Author Correction: Divergent reflections around the photon sphere of a black hole | Scientific Reports

What he is saying, is that a spinning Black Hole creates a very strange image indeed. As you recall, my sister said the Moon was a funny shape on Christmas Eve last year. I dismissed as the ramblings of a Madwoman. :D

But checked my photographs taken that night:

910030d1610252215-universe-expanding-moon-goes-pear-shaped-jpg

Clearly a Spinning Black Hole passed between the Moon and Earth that night. And I found the first observational evidence! Historians will remember the system7-Snepppen Effect alongside Hawking Radiation. :)

How mcchambin laughs at our British "windmills"! Preferring his Atomic Waste. Have I shown you the effect of his Gamma Rays on my Geraniums? Below. They used to be a 6" high pot plant on my window shelf... :eek:

I am well aware of the movement of the Planets. Cue the Christmas Star taken on Dec 24th.. One of my finer moments.

904421d1608832925-universe-expanding-conjunction-christmas-eve-jpg

You'd think I know the difference between a couple of boring Planets and a Black Hole!

910030d1610252215-universe-expanding-moon-goes-pear-shaped-jpg

Attachments

• The Effect of Gamma Rays on Scented Geraniums.jpg
    The Effect of Gamma Rays on Scented Geraniums.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 67
The formation of supermassive black holes is an area of active research.

Galaxy formation is a topic worth researching and I realise that there's lots of new knowledge that I need to catch up on.

So far, I've learned that the oldest galaxies are the huge elliptical galaxies which have formed over the eons through a series of collisions involving smaller spiral galaxies. Elliptical galaxies have supermassive black holes at their centres.

Small 'dwarf' galaxies do not have black holes at their centres.

Not all supermassive black holes at the heart of galaxies are active. Some, like the one at the centre of our galaxy, have run out of stars to consume and are currently 'slumbering'.

Quasars are very distant but very bright galaxies. Their great distance means they were formed very early in the history of the universe. These young galaxies are (were?)powered by supermassive black holes at their centres which voraciously consume matter which emits energy is it spirals to its destruction.

I'm writing this from memory, so there may be inaccuracies!

I remember seeing an episode where Seinfeld was chiding Kramer on his idea of over drying clothes. He stated to the effect that once a shirt is dry, that's it. It doesn't become more dry.
On the subject of super massive black holes and gravity, is there a point reached where it cannot attract more, on a local level relative to itself?
Would that be where matter and energy is ejected into another dimension?

Status
Not open for further replies.