What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I made a comment similar to this years ago, and Sy put me right. Getting hydrogen requires energy - so in fact in the big scheme of things its not that efficient end to end - there's very little of it floating around in the atmosphere - its all bound up.

Once we have a lot more wind, solar and nuclear up and running, we should be ok. But, (and this is specific to the UK - I don't know what the US situation is), it will take another 10-15 yrs to get to be completely carbon neutral. We still use a lot of gas for primary energy production here and that is what we have to get weaned off. In that regard, I don't see how nuclear can be ignored.

Here's a link to the live energy mix dashboard

Energy Dashboard - real time and historical UK energy figures, analysis and mapping
Yes, the trick is to efficiently free it up. Not out of the atmosphere but out of water by electrolysis. It's already being done successfully using innovative tech by collaborative individuals/groups. They are not hard to find. You can acquire/build electronics to convert your existing car's engine to run on hydrogen extracted on demand from a water tank while driving. Extremely safe since no hydrogen is stored...produced on demand as required by the engine via your right foot. So you fill up with water instead of gas. Zero emission. Mind you energy as you say is required for the electrolysis. But once the production cycle is started, fossil/nuclear fuel can be eliminated.

Energy and greenhouse gases and pollution is all a complete shambles IMO. :confused:

15 years ago everybody was buying low road-tax low CO2 small cars, which seemed a reasonable proposition for the commuting classes. Then huge SUV diesels found favour with low congestion charge. Now considered very bad altogether. Now going electric with huge infrastructure and battery problems.

We have had an outbreak of electric scooters in Portsmouth. They look like an accident waiting to happen to me. No helmets. You can't hear them coming and lots of people ride them on the pavement.

I'll stick to my bicycle! Seems to work. Cheap and healthy too. :D

My Quantum Chromodynamics experiment has not been an unqualified success. :mad:

Strong interaction - Wikipedia

Gell-Mann matrices - Wikipedia

986029d1632592266-universe-expanding-quarks-antiquarks-jpg

These Gell-Mann Matrices are clearly doing something my Radar Reflector thingie is not.

985831d1632513730-universe-expanding-trihedral-corner-reflector-gif

Only insight gained is the reflector, when slightly misaligned, reflects a hexagonal pattern back at the torch, which might be a baryon octet in some way. Think I'll have to grind through the matrix maths.

Attachments

• Mirror symmetry Baryons.jpg
    Mirror symmetry Baryons.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 82
  • Mirror Symmetry Mesons.jpg
    Mirror Symmetry Mesons.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hydrogen production - Wikipedia

The problem is generating hydrogen so that it is carbon neutral is not cheap and we don’t have anywhere near the scale of carbon zero energy source generation capacity. It takes a lot of energy to produce just 1 kg of hydrogen.

Eventually we may be able to do it using solar and wind, but currently it’s not a viable option.

I read somewhere a few years ago that to convert the whole planet to a hydrogen economy would cost > $100 trillion - so about the total current global GDP. Generation, storage (not easy in gas form I understand), transport all present huge challenges

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hydrogen production - Wikipedia

The problem is generating hydrogen so that it is carbon neutral is not cheap and we don’t have anywhere near the scale of carbon zero energy source generation capacity. It takes a lot of energy to produce just 1 kg of hydrogen.

Eventually we may be able to do it using solar and wind, but currently it’s not a viable option.

I read somewhere a few years ago that to convert the whole planet to a hydrogen economy would cost > $100 trillion - so about the total current global GDP. Generation, storage (not easy in gas form I understand), transport all present huge challenges
As I said, it's already being done using the battery/alternator of the car. It's an easy conversion. What % of emissions are currently generated by transportation globally?

The UK Government seems optimistic about the use of hydrogen for home heating, Bonsai. :flame:

Bonsai is right. You add up all the pluses and negatives on the energy expenditure ledger and hydrogen just doesn't work. It might work for a few limited applications but not in general. As far as the current British government's credibility and the population that voted them in.... If Brexit was any indication of that critical thinking ability on your shores then you're not doing any better at critical thinking than we are across the pond. Remember what Einstein said: Nationalism is the common cold of the human race (I'm paraphrasing). He was right I think.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
You say the energy to generate hydrogen comes from the car's alternator/battery.

I'm confused, where does the energy come from to turn the alternator in the first place?

Surely there has to be an external input of hydrogen to the system or you would be talking 'perpetual motion'?

How Do Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicles Work? | Union of Concerned Scientists
How does your car start? Where does the power come from for combustion in a gas engine?

Nothing changes except the fuel which is produced on demand via an electronic circuit enacting electrolysis in real time as the engine requires it, in the volume required.

I'm not talking about "fuel cell" technology. That's the smoke screen hiding the true potential for harnessing this element for powering the world.

Oh my, what hyperbole, eh!

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Bonsai is right. You add up all the pluses and negatives on the energy expenditure ledger and hydrogen just doesn't work. It might work for a few limited applications but not in general. As far as the current British government's credibility and the population that voted them in.... If Brexit was any indication of that critical thinking ability on your shores then you're not doing any better at critical thinking than we are across the pond. Remember what Einstein said: Nationalism is the common cold of the human race (I'm paraphrasing). He was right I think.

Spot on on all counts exeric.

It was Sy (no longer frequenting diyAudio sadly) that pointed out the difficulty of using hydrogen when I raised it about 7 or 8 yrs ago. I've tried to wise up on these things a bit since then :)

Status
Not open for further replies.