What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice info Galu and Steve.

Are those sunspots o your image Steve?

958207d1623149848-universe-expanding-projected-sun-jpg

I thought I mentioned the dark spot is an eyepiece fault... it moves when you rotate the eyepiece. :cool:

Let's be careful out there folks. I'm taking no chances of going blind on my backup system.... Thankyou Galu.

DIY Box Pinhole Projector to See a Solar Eclipse

Took 20 minutes to make. I just tested it. It's good enough. While I was testing it a rather pleasant woman wondered what I was doing. I knew that would happen.

She said she was more interested in Astrology as women often are. I'm Taurus, she is cusp of Gemini. One thing led to another. We are meeting up tomorrow at the beach for Tai-Chi and a swim... :D

Attachments

• Eclipse Box.jpg
    Eclipse Box.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Testing Eclipse Box system7.jpg
    Testing Eclipse Box system7.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 201
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I’ll try and make a pinhole projector later this week and report back - should be fun. I don’t think I’ll be walking around with a box on my head though - I’ll need to find a design that allows me to keep my dignity intact. Builders here tomorrow for some remodeling so I will withdraw to my lab upstairs to finish one or two projects and do this pinhole thing. I’m determined to turn my grandson into someone useful like an astronomer or a biologist. There is work to be done.

Last edited:
I'd get on with it now, Bonsai. A certain amount of testing is in order. 10AM Thursday is the deadline! Remember the 6P's. :D

Slight worry about Portsmouth, UK. Iffy weather forecast:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/po5

But I have high hopes of a good snap. Often better here than Auntie Beeb predicts.

"Narwich" (On the Ball, City!) looks promising:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2641181

Galu must take his chances in his cold, damp, midge infested Northern Domain:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2648579

Ante-Post favourites must be Kaffiman in Oslo:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/3143244

And Discopete in Canada:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/6167865

But serious doubts whether Discopete will get up in time. 5.30AM is an ask.

Last edited:
But not the solids in that space?
If you mean is space expanding everywhere, even on small scales such as those inside of an atom, where most of the volume is effectively “empty” space, then the short answer is no!

The electromagnetic forces that hold the atom’s positively charged nucleus and negatively charged electrons together significantly overcome the expansion of spacetime.

Last edited:
Look at this baby go! :D

Extraordinary. A month ago it was a mere skinny 1-y-o strapling:

Sorbus Autumn Spire - Rowan Tree | Mail Order Trees

949768d1620428893-universe-expanding-front-garden-7-2021-tree-jpg

Now look at it! :D

Of course I have been waging severe War with the Snails, Greenfly and Ants. Mostly organically with Fairy Liquid detergents and a good old stomp with the boot. I never regret killing a snail. I have invested £41 in this tree. But I am merciless. :)

Attachments

• Sorbus versus the Ants and Greenfly.jpg
    Sorbus versus the Ants and Greenfly.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 75
Here's the situation, Discopete. :)

You are facing a 90 per cent Solar Eclipse. A situation I am familiar with. Seen it twice.

But will you get up early enough to face it?

TBH, I think Bonsai is in the best position, weather-wise.

As your bookmaker, my money is on Kaffiman for the best Image.

But Time will Tell. It may come down to a Vote. :D

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Looks like clear skies Thursday morning here but it'll be half over at sunrise and probably completely over by the time it's high enough to see it. No danger of eye damage at least. I'll stay in bed. :)

80% btw

Your tree looks good. I have some Giant Sequoia seeds I'm going to germinate.

Last edited:
If you mean is space expanding everywhere, even on small scales such as those inside of an atom, where most of the volume is effectively “empty” space, then the short answer is no!

The electromagnetic forces that hold the atom’s positively charged nucleus and negatively charged electrons together significantly overcome the expansion of spacetime.

oh that's a good one. If protons/electrons are existing in an organized state, within laws we've discovered, within the same physical law as the rest of the universe (?), how can they maintain their law as elements themselves, if the universe is physically expanding? edit, what is the implication of equilibrium and conservation of energy? 2nd edit, Unless... we are incapable of measuring that change (decay) within time/space. Disclosure, I'm just a geologist by trade, time is almost meaningless, by this measure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.