What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds as likely as anything else.

Meanwhile, in Norway, a massive amount of phonons are made, to simulate the approximation of a marching band, to such a degree that my neighbours come out, in spite of the rain to celebrate our national day, convinced it's a real band.

Attachments

• IMG_20210516_182228_330.jpg
    IMG_20210516_182228_330.jpg
    957.2 KB · Views: 84
Here's my major are of coverage, directing quite a bit towards where I'm pointing since there's a cluster of 290 houses behind those trees.
The neighbors behind me also hear it quite well. I did give a fair warning and nobody had any objections, the people I talked to all gave me thumbs up, not heard a single negative comment, people walking or driving past stop to take pictures and videos. It's all good! :D

Attachments

• IMG_20210517_124231_659.jpg
    IMG_20210517_124231_659.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20210517_124235_742.jpg
    IMG_20210517_124235_742.jpg
    1,006.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20210517_124249_192.jpg
    IMG_20210517_124249_192.jpg
    924.7 KB · Views: 86
953417d1621548215-universe-expanding-conn-jpg

Old Nautical Joke:

Ships Log: Engineering Officer Scott @ 8 Bells
"Took over from First Officer Spock. He appears to be drunk."

Ships Log: First Officer Spock @ 16 Bells
"Took over from Captain Kirk. He appears to be sober."

Ingenuity_Helicopter_Rotor_Blades_Unlocked_for_Flying.gif

Questions were raised about dust on the solar panels. Apparently a real problem that has killed off previous Mars rovers like Opportunity. The cute little Chinese Rover has vibrating panels that may help.

China’s Mars rover returns first images — scientists say the view is promising

Lot of dust around the Mars orbit too. Damages probes' Solar Panels, being very high 16,000 km per hour velocity:

The solar system is weirdly dusty. How the hell did it get there? | WIRED UK

The boffins think it comes from Mars' two moons.

Lot of dust around the Mars orbit too.

The boffins think it comes from Mars' two moons.
Apparently the boffins have not yet come up with a mechanism by which the dust might escape from Mars itself or from either Phobos or Deimos.

Cue a photograph of the zodiacal light stretching skyward beyond Mount Teide in the Canary Islands.

The faint column of light extending up from the horizon is caused by sunlight reflecting off dust particles in the inner solar system.

Attachments

• zodiacal light mount teide.jpg
    zodiacal light mount teide.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 90
I've seen that around strong light sources when there's been thin ice fog during winter.
No matter where you saw it from there would be a column of light going straight up from that specific location. Looked a bit like a flashlight through fog, only going straight up and visible for vast distances.
The weather seemed perfectly clear, just a barely visible haze of tiny ice particles. Think the light was reflected off ice on the ground and went straight up.

I've seen that around strong light sources when there's been thin ice fog during winter.
No matter where you saw it from there would be a column of light going straight up from that specific location.
I've looked into that phenomenon.

The column of light is called a light pillar.

Atmospheric Phenomena: Halos, Sundogs and Light Pillars

Generally seen in cold, arctic regions, light pillars are an optical phenomenon where columns of light can be seen emanating from below or above a light source. Light pillars occur when natural or artificial light reflects off flat ice crystals in the air close to the Earth’s surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.