What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
...a small Highland cluster...
Mine's a large Highland cluster! ;)

54066957abbfe9c6610a8ff436ce4e84--funny-postcards-vintage-postcards.jpg

There was a Uhtred the Bold who was the Earl of Northumbria. However, he was born 100 years after 900AD.

Pillaging had already happened in the preceding decades, thanks to the Viking invasions.

By 900AD, the Viking settlers were being incorporated into the emerging Kingdom of Scotland.

Four decades later, a joint army of Scots and Vikings was defeated at the Battle of Brunanburh by King Athelstan, securing the future of what was to become England.

vikingsbrunanburh.jpg

The non-fictional story is written here: Battle of Brunanburh 937AD

Hi Johno!

I couldn't find a reference to an Anulf. It is Ánláf (Olaf Guthfrithson) who is obviously your man.

He was the viking leader dubbed King of Dublin who fought alongside King Constantine II of Scotland at the Battle of Brunanburh in 937 AD.

Ánláf returned to Ireland in 938 AD, but after Æthelstan's death the following year he left for York where he was quickly able to establish himself as king.

Olaf Guthfrithson - Wikipedia

It was a time of great to-ings and fro-ings in pursuit of wealth and power - I guess there wasn't much else to do before the coming of the Internet and Netflix! :D

Last edited:
Interesting discoveries about the Earth's magnetic field. :)

894343d1605660328-universe-expanding-electric-dipole-conformal-transformation-png

Apparently it conked out about 41,000 years ago. Earth was bathed in Cosmic Rays, Aurora lit up the night. The Ozone layer was destroyed. Many species became extinct. :eek:

We found the first Australian evidence of a major shift in Earth's magnetic poles. It may help us predict the next

Do humans have a magnetic sense? Apparently they might:

Magnetoreception - Wikipedia

Cows align themselves North-South.

Resting and grazing cattle ... tend to align their body axes in the geomagnetic north–south direction.

We know that is true from this famous joke:

"There are three men on a train. One of them is an economist and one of them is a logician and one of them is a mathematician.

And they have just crossed the border into Scotland (I don't know why they are going to Scotland) and they see a brown cow standing in a field from the window of the train (and the cow is standing parallel to the train).

And the economist says, 'Look, the cows in Scotland are brown.' And the logician says, 'No. There are cows in Scotland of which at least one is brown.' And the mathematician says, 'No. There is at least one cow in Scotland, of which one side appears to be brown.'

Weird, huh? :D

According to Steve's link, it appears that mineral formations in caves, such as stalagmites and stalactites, could help improve our understanding of the Earth’s magnetic field.

To tell the difference between the two, I always remember that 'tites' come down! :D

tumblr_msdofoeamc1qf8xnfo1_500.png

The above stalactite appears to have undergone several magnetic field reversals! :confused:

Do humans have a magnetic sense? Apparently they might...
Magnetoreception is a widespread phenomenon in the animal kingdom.

I was particularly interested in the fact that dogs can be trained to locate bar magnets.

In a series of experiments using hidden bar magnets and hidden food treats as a control, 13 out of 16 dogs detected the magnet at a rate significantly above chance level, while none of the dogs managed to match that rate of success in finding the food treat. Dogs can be trained to find a bar magnet [PeerJ]

The Dogs experiment was fascinating, but prone to other explanations, one feels. Maybe Dogs can smell iron magnets? Like sharks can smell blood?

But I am sure birds have a built-in compass, otherwise how do they migrate such vast distances. How do Salmon always find the same river to spawn? And bees seem to know where they are going.

I’m struggling with your mag field extinction thingy Steve. Do we need a mag field for an ozone layer or do we need UV from the Sun for an ozone layer.

Serious question BTW. Maybe someone can answer.

Seems without a magnetic field a planet loses atmosphere, ultra-violet and cosmic rays damage the ozone layer. The Earth hots up.

“These damage the ozone layer and ultraviolet light comes in at very high levels,” says Cooper. This would have caused extreme weather conditions, including lightning, high temperatures and lots of sunlight – which may have been difficult for organisms to adapt to.

“These extreme environmental changes may have caused, or at least contributed to, extinction events including those of large mammals in Australia and the Neanderthals in Europe,” says Paula Reimer at Queen’s University Belfast, UK, who wasn’t involved in the research. Megafauna across Australia and Tasmania – prehistoric giant mammals that existed in the Late Pleistocene – and Neanderthals in Europe went extinct around the same time as the magnetic pole reversal, 42,000 years ago.

Read more: Earth's magnetic field flipping linked to extinctions 42,000 years ago | New Scientist

Right now a compass at Greenwich points dead North. This only happens every 360 years.

I’m struggling with your mag field extinction thingy Steve. Do we need a mag field for an ozone layer or do we need UV from the Sun for an ozone layer.
I do hope Steve hasn't been sitting too close to his spark generator and allowing the ozone to go to his head! :D

I did find out that there is an evolving dent in the Earth's magnetic field called the South Atlantic Anomoly, or SAA, which allows solar particles to dip closer to the Earth's surface than normal. :eek:

According to geophysicists, a localised field with reversed polarity grows strongly in the SAA region, thus making the field intensity much weaker than that of the surrounding regions.

NASA Researchers Track 'Dent' in Earth’s Magnetic Field | NASA

Attachments

• SAA 2020.png
    SAA 2020.png
    463.5 KB · Views: 73
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I was under the impression UV, because of its higher photon energy levels, broke O2 molecules apart, which them quickly reformed in a continuous process. No no mag field involved.

I imagine however ionized oxygen atoms would respond to the earths mag field. So if there was an anomaly in tne field, that would be reflected in the Ozone layer.

There is another mechanism for ozone depletion.

Energetic protons carried by strong solar storms boost the production of nitrogen oxides in the Earth's upper atmosphere.

The protons split nitrogen gas molecules (N[SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE]) into two free nitrogen atoms. Nitrogen atoms are highly reactive with oxygen, creating oxides of nitrogen.

Nitrogen oxides are known ozone killers. They can descend, mix with, then attack the ozone layer.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Sounds like war up there Galu!

Surely this nitrogen depletion process must have some natural control or some constraining factors since the ozone layer has been around for 100’s of millions of years, finally robust enough about 550 million yrs ago to allow complex life to emerge from the sea and onto the land? In other words, it can not be a runaway process.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Sounds like war up there Galu!

Surely this nitrogen depletion process must have some natural control or some constraining factors since the ozone layer has been around for 100’s of millions of years, finally robust enough about 550 million yrs ago to allow complex life to emerge from the sea and onto the land? In other words, it can not be a runaway process.
Where is the proof that without it we wouldn't be here right now? In any case, how many naturally occurring sources for ozone are there? Is it not constantly being produced? Depleted faster than it's produced? Again, where's the proof we should care? Not the science measuring it's depletion but the direct evidence it's depletion is detrimental. We've been getting sunburns for thousands of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.