What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Galu, what is the correct answer to Discopete's question about two particles approaching each other at 2/3 lightspeed as observed by somebody at the centre of mass?
Yes, Pete actually said they were receding from each other and never mentioned 'centre of mass' - only their relative velocity. I'm waiting to mark Pete's homework, at which point I will reveal my answer (or will have to revise it accordingly). ;)

Don't you agree with the simple equation I supplied for the calculation?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
All that exists for a photon is the interaction that formed it and the interaction that destroys it.

In other words, nothing exists for a photon between being emitted by matter and being absorbed by matter.

That would mean that darkness can not exist for a photon.
I did read that link. Amazing. I mean the parts I can guess at.:D

OTOH, a youtube tutorial vid I just watched calculated how much time would have passed here on earth on my arrival back from accelerating away at G for ten years, decelerating for ten, then on return the same procedural way, so a 40 year journey. Wow

Let one of them have velocity v1=v, and the other velocity v2=-v.

The "usual" way to calculate their relative velocity is simply v relative = v1 - v2 = 2v

However, according to the theory of relativity:

v relative = [v1 - v2]/[1 - (v1*v2/c2)] = 2v/[1 + v2/c2] where c2 is the speed of light squared.

Now, apply that formula to your two objects and see what you get! ;)

I tried to follow that, but it is dimensionally inaccurate IMO.

You can't put v2/c^2 and expect it to make sense. :confused:

I have been working with E^2 = p^2 x c^2 + m^2 x c^4 tonight.

It's p that is giving me the problem. Because it involves the Lorentz factor.

I used the Lorentz Velocity Transformation.
icDsUhaOZzvS6tMxTt0btySsTlonK9uZj3_aC2JKhyfD1qn97aNUOHekKgdQBk5vr-HW8yTgiAJjieB72zxzFsBjqQSK9dP_0FRMJ8i00IaBOrP7uGex0xCMrQ

u = relative velocity

Since the magnitude of the receding velocities is the same:

u' + v = 2v, and, u'v = v^2

Sometimes the best strategy is to sleep on a problem.

Clearly no headway being made tonight. :eek:

BTW, much improved image made of Orion and Canis Major made tonight. Also a more compact JPEG file.

You will notice I have included Beta Canis Majoris. A minor Cepheid variable. :D

Attachments

• Orion 2.jpg
    Orion 2.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 41
OTOH, a youtube tutorial vid I just watched calculated how much time would have passed here on earth on my arrival back from accelerating away at G for ten years, decelerating for ten, then on return the same procedural way, so a 40 year journey. Wow
If you get a 'wow' out of that, then you should enjoy 'Tau Zero' by Poul Anderson.

When a spaceship's Bussard ramjet engines run out of control, it continues to accelerate until it attains light speed. For the occupants on board subjective time slows down, but the universe outside ages rapidly - ultimately collapsing in a Big Crunch and being re-born in a new Big Bang.

The Cosmology regarding the ultimate fate of our universe may be out of date, but the book's a darned good read in the relativistic sense.

Tau Zero - Wikipedia

Attachments

• Tau Zero.jpg
    Tau Zero.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 39
If you get a 'wow' out of that, then you should enjoy 'Tau Zero' by Poul Anderson.

When a spaceship's Bussard ramjet engines run out of control, it continues to accelerate until it attains light speed. For the occupants on board subjective time slows down, but the universe outside ages rapidly - ultimately collapsing in a Big Crunch and being re-born in a new Big Bang.

The Cosmology regarding the ultimate fate of our universe may be out of date, but the book's a darned good read in the relativistic sense.

Tau Zero - Wikipedia
Haven't come across this one, but I've read many of his novels. He's always been a good read.

Joined 2009
Paid Member

Tau Zero - Wikipedia
The really wowee factor is not the 56000 year thing but say I want to come back to the future just 50 years later. How long would I have to travel then? A couple of weeks??

Now that's got to be doable, no?

There's one way to live for 150 years

Tau Zero - Wikipedia
There's a similar novel by Larry Niven:
A World Out of Time - Wikipedia

Correction: I should have said "it continues to accelerate until it approaches light speed."

2403.jpg

Anderson's Tau Factor is the square root term in the above equation. When the speed of the spacecraft (V) approaches the speed of light (c) then the tau factor approaches zero.

As the tau factor approaches zero, the time (t') which elapses on the spacecraft will become smaller and smaller compared to the time (t) which elapses in the universe.

Attachments

• Tau Zero Poul Anderson.jpg
    Tau Zero Poul Anderson.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 58
...say I want to come back to the future just 50 years later. How long would I have to travel then? A couple of weeks??
I'll leave it up to you to experiment with this calculator: Time Dilation Calculator

If you scroll down, you can enter the percentage of the speed of light at which you are going to travel, and the distance you wish to travel in light years.

The calculator will then work out the journey times in years as viewed from the Earth and from the spaceship.

I realize after some thoughtful reflection that the shorter time you're gone the greater the acceleration has to be for their to result in a significant offset.
The time you would take to get to where you want to go would depend on the distance in light years you want to travel. That could take years, tens of years or hundreds of years! You would have all that time to accelerate to your near-light speed. We're not talking about simple non-relativistic jaunts to the Moon and back! Maybe you should take some time to use the calculator to which I linked.

Last edited:
To be clear, in the relativistic equation, v relative = 2v/[1 + v2/c2], the term in the brackets is [1 plus v squared divided by c squared].

I can't do the superscripts properly!

Galu, you are editing your posts so rapidly, I am losing track.... :confused:

You mentioned the Lorentz velocity transform at some point.

Discopete was talking about two particles at 2/3 lightspeed relative to some central observer.

So v relative = 4/3 divided by 1 + 4/9

Which is 12/9 divided by 9/9 + 4/9 if I follow.

Which is 12/13.

Is that the answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.