What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please don't mention Agnetha, it only elevates my blood pressure!

P.S. New ABBA documentary on Channel 5 at 9.00pm tonight - 'ABBA: In Their Own Words'.

Attachments

• ABBA.jpg
    ABBA.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 86
Galu, you do know, don't you, that excessive interest in Sci-Fi is considered unhealthy?
Fan of Sci-Fi? Psychologists Have You in Their Sights

Something to do with "Entitled Narcissm". But what is wrong with THAT? :D

Yeah...
Fantasy migration is “adaptive” – dressing up as Princess Leia or Darth Vader makes science fiction fans happy and keeps them out of trouble.
I dunno... Everyone has something... Loads of people are ecstatic when watching sweaty men kick leather balls into nets. Some other people resort to alcohol or drugs full-time.
Using the extremely cheap argument that people want to have a slight escape from everyday reality (*duh*) and use that to talk something down is just... Well, perhaps something I would only expect from a Psychologist. Maybe he's the Narcissist.

I'd rather have a more varied and balanced thing with sci-fi and diyaudio, even though it's perceived as a fair bit on the eccentric side it must be way healthier than a lot of other things.

Does anyone else believe the universe just expands into whatever it does, simply because the wave function transmuted into anything we are not equipped to understand
I read that only the quantum state of a spatially closed universe can be described by a wave function.

Outside of the wave function of our universe there may exist other universes.

99.jpg

That is, if there is such a thing as the wave function of the universe at all! ;)

Water has been definitively found on the Moon, NASA has said, and there are a set of “water traps” that could hold it stably.

Researchers had previously found evidence of hydration on the lunar surface. But it was unclear whether that hydrogen was in the form of hydroxyl - the chemical that makes up drain cleaners - or in the form of H2O, or water.

Now scientists have found unambiguously that there is a water on the surface.
Nasa Moon announcement: Water definitively found on lunar surface in breakthrough for deep space travel | The Independent

My "universe" is that white silk bow she's wearing - as if that was needed. On the other hand, I wonder what the Qts is of "Our universe", described in that wave function...Hmmm; something about the ratio of height vs width at the base...at least I know those other universes wouldnt be good for an OB! Glad to be living in one where an OB works ;')

I still can't get my browser to play NASA Live, but it was water, eh?

NASA’s SOFIA Discovers Water on Sunlit Surface of Moon | NASA

Not much apparently. There's a hundred times more in the Sahara desert.

Unlike previous detections of water in permanently shadowed parts of lunar craters, scientists have now detected the molecule in sunlit regions of the Moon's surface.

Speaking during a virtual teleconference, co-author Casey Honniball, postdoctoral fellow at Nasa's Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland, said: "The amount of water is roughly equivalent to a 12-ounce bottle of water in a cubic metre of lunar soil."

Water on the Moon could sustain a lunar base - BBC News

But it's a start. Amazing aeroplane that SOFIA thing.

Last edited:
"If you travel out to the flared end of the horn, you would find yourself travelling back in on the opposite side."

This is obviously due to diffraction :) the designer of that horn should have made a roll-back!

Rookie error :-D

//

I thought a horn was an atmosphere impedance matcher - the end of it like your 50 Ohm resistor at the end of a 50 Ohm transmission line.

Maybe if we can improve the shape of the Universe's horn, when you get to the mouth - you can just keep going. Or at least apparently.

jjasniew sounds like a Telecoms man, like myself.

I was pondering the problems of the Universe tonight. Clearly we are stuck in a bog:

Bizarre ‘Dark Fluid’ With Negative Mass Could Dominate the Universe

Don't waste time on this crackpot theory about negative mass and Dark Matter and Dark Energy. Makes no sense at all. :confused:

I was hoping we could spend more time on Information Theory.

All this notion about Energy, Momentum, Time and Distance is just a dead-end. So far I have Information Theory, Geometry and something else on the go.

This is 2D function of a complex variable aka Butterworth Filters:

591432d1484097951-flat-impedance-flat-power-response-design-3rd_order_phase_network-jpg

Amazingly it crops up in the latest scientific wheeze about room-temperature superconductivity with graphene sheets:

With a Simple Twist, a ‘Magic’ Material Is Now the Big Thing in Physics

I like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.