What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The new estimate of Betelgeuse's physical size has led to a new determination of its distance from Earth. It's a mere 530 light years away - 25% closer than previously thought.
That's fascinating. I assumed methods to determine distances to other (nearby) stars would be more accurate than that. It now occurs to me that I have no idea how they determine distances to such stars. Anyone know?

I recall that the nearest star (other than the Sun, of course) is four light years away, and indeed Wikipedia gives the distance to four significant figures (!):
Proxima Centauri - Wikipedia

I somewhat recall that such nearby stars' distances are determined by parallax from the Earth being in different places at different times of the year due to its orbit around the Sun, and the appearance of the stars in reference to the background stars behind them. I don't know for how far away that would be useful.

I just looked up Betelgeuse (or Betelgeux) in Patrick Moore's Observers book of astronomy. It's the red star top left, with blue Rigel (0.08 magnitude) bottom right.

He's dead on the money. In 1962 he lists Betelgeuse as 520 light years away and the size of Earth's orbit.

He lists it as having a 5 year period 0.1 to 1.3 magnitude. It's actually dropped to 1.8 recently, putting it on a par with the three stars in the belt.

A fascinating diversion into SuperNovas. :)

Apparently we get them about 3 times a century in our Galaxy. I remember SN-1987A in the nearby Magellan Clouds. Reached magnitude 3. We felt its presence. The neutrino burst woke up the House one night. We all had a terrible nights sleep. We happened to have a resident Physicist upstairs who explained it. Sort of bright flash in your head! Weirdness. Like a goose stepping on your grave, you ever had that strange feeling? :D

SN 1987A - Wikipedia

There was a whopper in 1604. Reached -2.5 for three weeks, about the same as Jupiter.

Kepler's Supernova - Wikipedia

Far more common are Novas. We get 30-60 a year, but they don't get very bright.

Apparently a SuperNova is very bad news within 30 light years. Strips away the Ozone layer:

This supernova blast was so close, it littered the ocean floor with radioactive dust | PBS NewsHour

Last edited:
We felt its presence. The neutrino burst woke up the House one night. Sort of bright flash in your head! Weirdness.
This story invokes the same degree of weirdness as the last time you mentioned it, Steve! ;)

Impossibleness may be more descriptive, since neutrinos pass though normal matter unimpeded.

Then again, your grey matter is universally recognised as superseding the normal! :D

Last edited:
Neutrinos are one of the weirder particles in our Universe.

Neutrino - Wikipedia

They DO interract with matter, but only very lightly:

Neutrino detector - Wikipedia

Origionally conceived as a book-keeping device to balance momentum in certain Nuclear Decays, they have turned out to be very strange things indeed.

Koide formula - Wikipedia

They spend strange lives flipping between Electron, Muon and Tau flavours. TBH, I might have dreamt the whole thing in February 1987. Cold nights make you dream. And Simon Jones, who worked in the Patent Office like a certain other bright Physicist might have got it wrong. Maybe it was a Gamma Ray burst.

Is the Koide formula real?

I read that it's simply an empirical equation that remains unconfirmed.

Attachments

• Koide Formula.jpg
    Koide Formula.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 144
The thing I fear is a GRB.
Gamma Ray Bursts are believed to occur in a massive star whose core has run out of fuel and collapsed into a black hole. As matter falls toward the newly formed black hole, it launches jets of subatomic particles that move out through the star's outer layers at nearly the speed of light. When the particle jets reach the stellar surface, they emit gamma rays, the most energetic form of light.
NASA's Swift telescope detected it's 1,000th GRB in 2015. NASA's Swift Spots its Thousandth Gamma-ray Burst | NASA

The most remote gamma ray burst was observed in 2000. It was emitted when the Universe was very young, less than about 1,500 million years old, or only 10% of its present age.

The brightness was enormous, at least 1,000,000,000,000 times that of our Sun, or thousands of times that of the explosion of a Supernova.

Attachments

• GRB Afterglow.jpg
    GRB Afterglow.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 55
So far, no GRB has been detected within our Milky Way galaxy.

The most likely candidate to produce a GRB in our galaxy is one of the highly luminous stars that make up the binary Apep system which is located about 8000 light years from Earth.

Fortunately, Apep appears not to be aimed directly at Earth, because a gamma-ray burst at this proximity could strip ozone from our atmosphere, drastically increasing our exposure to UV light from the Sun.

Attachments

• Apep Binary Star System.jpg
    Apep Binary Star System.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 51
Status
Not open for further replies.