What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good fun this thread.

I am concluding that the whole Space Colonisation idea is pretty hopeless. :eek:

Space colonization - Wikipedia

The Moon, Mercury, Ceres, Mars, Titan notions each have different drawbacks for a colony.

Lack of local materials. Lack of gravity, whatever that does to our frail little bodies in the long run. Lack of power sources.

I thought some craters on the poles of Mercury looked promising, with a whiff of ice available and lots of solar power, but Mercury is very fuel-inefficient to visit. The Moon might have some water too, near the poles.

Having worked for International Nickel in my illustrious past, I know that large mineral deposits like the one at Sudbury in Canada came from Ferro-Nickel meteorite impact. Now one on the moon or Mercury near the pole might be a game-changer. :cool:

We'll also need to get into some asteroid mining, Steve!

In his Known Space series of science fiction novels, Larry Niven gets to grip with some of your scenarios:

• The Moon: Humans native to the Moon are called "Lunies", and tend toward tall, lean body types regularly reaching eight feet in height.
  • Mars: No one goes there, as resources are easier to mine in the Asteroid belt (the Sol Belt) and Jovian moons.
  • The Sol Belt: It possesses an abundance of valuable ores, which are easily accessible due to the low to negligible gravity of the rocks containing them. The individuals who mine the asteroids are called 'Belters'.
  • Mercury: Used mainly for mining and as a gravitational anchor for orbiting solar power stations which beam power to the more remote colonies using gigantic lasers.

Attachments

• Tales of Known Space.jpg
    Tales of Known Space.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 61
large mineral deposits like the one at Sudbury in Canada came from Ferro-Nickel meteorite impact

The cost per kilo of bringing things from the surface of another planet remain astronomical (pun intended). As I see it the space elevator and some kind of robot ships gathering small asteroids might make sense if there were solid nuggets of precious metals out there.

Okay, so that sounds like ... living in a sealed off rotating giant barrel, relatively close to asteroid belts.

Power source?
The Belters created Confinement Asteroid, a habitat with spin gravity that permits the safe gestation of their children.

Most of the time the only home they know is their spacesuit or their single ship.

Re the power source: note the role that Mercury has to play in beaming power to the remote colonies.

P.S. Trolls in space? See my next post!

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
@Galu - yes. The Blue Moon episode was fascinating. Strange that our solar system seems a bit backwards from normal. You’d expect the heavier planets to be close to the Sun and the smaller ones further out (accretion disc dynamics) so we have a very unusual setup. Hence the postulation from scientists that a heavy, earth size moon orbiting a gas giant around a red dwarf is the best opportunity for life to develop. You get around the tidal locking problem but get enough energy to sustain liquid water - the Blue Moon story.

Status
Not open for further replies.