What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
the rate of time.
The rate of change of a quantity refers to how that quantity changes with respect to time.

So, do you mean the rate of change of time with respect to time? I wonder if dt/dt actually has any physical meaning. :scratch:

In relativistic physics, there is no such thing as absolute time and time can proceed at a different rate in two different frames of reference, as a function of their relative velocities. So, is it correct to say there is a different rate of change of time in the two frames which manifests itself as a time difference (dilation) between them?

No theory in science is ever proven, simply not yet disproven. Newton's mechanics stood for hundreds of years until Einstein uncovered the flaws. None of those flaws are of any consequence in everyday Earthbound engineering, which is still done in Newtonian terms almost entirely. As to gravity still being a force, once you understand that in space bent by gravity orbital paths are in effect straight lines to an objects momentum, I'm not sure what's left for the "force" of gravity to do.

Galu said:
So, do you mean the rate of change of time with respect to time? I wonder if dt/dt actually has any physical meaning.

In differential calculus:
Code:
limit as [B]Δt -> 0 of [/B][B]Δt/[/B][B]Δt = 1[/B]

Reason, you are dividing by the same infinitesimal quantity, and that, always results in unity, 1. The exception is when Δt = 0 the answer for which is indeterminate.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
The density of mass is directly proportional to the rate of time. Time stops, space is 0, mass forms a singularity. Then time explodes, space exists and what look like a quick expansion is a high rate of time.

"Time" don't exists. What is it really that stops?

Or maybe you would like to define "time"?

Maybe it is the gravity form the Mother Black Hole that is at Ground Zero that when all photons has lost it's ability to swim (i.e. universe gets DARK except the glow from GZ), will be sucked back to GZ and forming the singularity that you are talking about. The Big Crunch. Om which a Big Bang follows. And on it goes. No energy lost or gained within this system = eternity....

//

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
No theory in science is ever proven, simply not yet disproven. Newton's mechanics stood for hundreds of years until Einstein uncovered the flaws. None of those flaws are of any consequence in everyday Earthbound engineering, which is still done in Newtonian terms almost entirely. As to gravity still being a force, once you understand that in space bent by gravity orbital paths are in effect straight lines to an objects momentum, I'm not sure what's left for the "force" of gravity to do.

Please read the link I posted. The fact is physicists still consider it a force.

You are quoting the effects of gravity, namely the bending of space time. Fact of the matter is we do not have an ideal theory of gravity (google quantum loop gravity for example) and the Higgs Bosun has been implicated in there somewhere as well - there’s a lot of ongoing work in this area. Van de Linde has proposed that it is an emergent property ultimately linked to entropy - so it does not exist directly as a force but that is not what you are saying. He is using String theory to try to unravel the mystery.

Good question! Care to tell us? It's certainly not answered by comparing Coulomb force with gravitational force.
The answer for this is well known. The electrostatic force between the electron and the positive nucleus causes the electron to accelerate towards the nucleus resulting in orbital motion. The motion however, is governed by the laws of Quantum Mechanics which impose the limitation of having quantised energy. So, the possible electron orbital velocities are not a continuum but discrete. This quantisation of electron orbital velocities gives rise to energy levels and the characteristic spectra as emitted by excited atoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.