What is the science behind this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you for your comments Earl.

If a single box is all you have

Single divided box, two amps and a ported woofer on the bottom. All the wiring is internal in case you were wondering. I am rather pleased with it. It's my second attempt at an all in one.

Attachments

• IMG_6945.jpg
    IMG_6945.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_6949.jpg
    IMG_6949.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 188
You can see a close-up picture of one end on one of John Watkinson's books:

http://www.superbookshop.net/covers/120/9780240515120.jpg

The woofers are hidden behind the metal grill that looks a little like a golden stripe around the tube (i.e. between the celtic logo and the mid-high driver). They each use a part of the tube as closed box. The rest is for the electronics.

Don't know what driver the Cabar uses but I have asked Jowhn W. about the driver used on a newer flat speaker (meant for wall placement). To be more exact I asked him whether this was a Jordan driver and he said that it was a proprietary one and that the only thing it had in common with a Jordan driver was the manufacturer of the rubber surround.....

AFAIK the Cabar has widerange drivers on the backside as well. The whole araangement is steered by its active crossover in such a way that it acts as an omnidirectional source at low frequencies and then merging to cardioid with rising frequency.

Regards

Charles

Sounds interesting, I couldn't see two very small drivers hitting the 30hz it mentions on the site. Needs more info and pics on the design to demonstrate why it's different, as a casual look just shows to small drivers and not what it really is. Just a thought.

Yeah I am, I was hoping to make the dock to a reasonable size(would be having to make compromises). Winisd was giving me 11 litres and that looks a tad big, but I may be able to compromise on the LF's and size that down a little as I wanted it to be roughly the size of a Geneva Medium( 36.6 cm x 19.7 cm x 25 cm (14.4" x 7.8" x 9.8")) but I may be pushing my luck here.

What can it do in that enclosure, ie can it actually be classed as a subwoofer like a good 10inch and produce the base?

I have a slightly different take the term subwoofer. When I was cutting my teeth, a subwoofer had an Fs of 20Hz or below. It was able to produce infrasonic frequencies, that was the 'sub' part how ever incorrect that might have been. Nowadays it seems that any long throw woofer is called a sub.

I am using it up to 100 Hz where the midbass on the front takes over. I would suggest with the passive radiator I am achieving in the neighbourhood of 40 Hz, possibly lower. The system is as bassy as you want it with the plate amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.